Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2009, 04:57 AM
    2 State refunds (1099G) with tax software
    I got married this past year. My wife and I both received refunds in 2007 from the state. We both live in MD now, and both have refunds from MD. For this year, we plan to file jointly. When using a particular tax software (not sure if I'm supposed to say which one), they allow you to put in the two refund amounts, then go through a process of entering in 2007 information to find out if the full refund amount is taxable for 2008. It allows me to enter 2007 information for only one party, either myself or for my wife. It doesn't allow for a different entry for each state refund I put in. They do give you two options, 1 is to assume the full amount is taxable, which they say is the easier option, but may end up with you paying more in taxes, 2 is the option I am trying to do, which will let you put in some of your 2007 information to find out how much is taxable. I'm stumped. Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 05:52 AM

You will enter state tax refunds received in 2008 (not 2007) only if you claimed state tax deduction as itemized deduction on your federal tax return for 2007.
    If you did not itemize your deductions in 2007, then you will not be asked to enter state tax refund you received in 2008.

Jan 26, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You will enter state tax refunds received in 2008 (not 2007) only if you claimed state tax deduction as itemized deduction on your federal tax return for 2007.
    If you did not itemize your deductions in 2007, then you will not be asked to enter state tax refund you received in 2008.
    I'm not entirely following. I think we are saying the same thing but maybe my word choice was poor. I'm talking about state refunds from 2007 tax year filing, that I received in 2008. We did both itemize our taxes last year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
    If you BOTH itemized on your 2007 returns, then the refunds for BOTH of you is considered to be taxable income on your 2008 federal tax return.

Just add the two refund amounts together and submit that one figure to the tax software for both of you when you file jointly.

Jan 26, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    If you BOTH itemized on your 2007 returns, then the refunds for BOTH of you is considered to be taxable income on your 2008 federal tax return.

Just add the two refund amounts together and submit that one figure to the tax software for both of you when you file jointly.
    So I don't need to run through the little tool to check how much is taxable? We did both itemize, so because of this, the entire amounts count as taxable income for 2008? Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Yes, that is correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nj residence got 1099g from ny [ 2 Answers ]

I am nj residence and my husband work at New York city. But yesterday, I got 1099g form. He is the one who work in New York, but it was issued to my social security number. I used to be a house wife, and 4 month ago I got my job and started to report my taxes. And we have joint tax.. Why this...

Did not receive 1099G [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I did not receive my 1099G but I know how much I paid. But now I have to enter information in HRblock for state address and payer's ID number and so on. Where do I find this from? This is for the state of Georgia. Thanks much, Ra

1099G Form [ 1 Answers ]

What if I filed the wrong amount from my 1099G form?

1099G taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I collected unemployment from Arizona and have not received a 1099G, Can I obtain it online?

1040nr-ez point #4 1099g [ 10 Answers ]

Hi , I am an International Student from India on F1 with Non Resident Alient Status who got an state refund for 2004 in 2005 but haven't received 1099G from IRS. While filling form 1040NR-EZ Point #4 , do I need to write the amount I received as an refund. Parshu

View more questions Search