Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fizzy Burst Posts: 34, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
    How do you overcome shyness?
    OK, so how does everyone get over their shyness? I'm 26 and first meetings with someone are hell for me. I get so nervous it's like the cat has my tongue. It'll last the whole time too, I just freeze up. Usually about the 3rd meeting things will ease up, but seriously now that is too long. Does anyone have ways that they deal with their shyness or can offer suggestions of how to overcome it so it doesn't interfere when meeting a woman for the first time?
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

I deal with shyness myself. I find that in order to get over it, I need to face it head on. Get the unfounded fears that fly through your head when you walk up to a girl out of your head. Most girls are receptive to guys that come up and talk with them. Some just are having a bad day and don't want tot talk to anybody. The bad things you think they may say about you, will not be said. You just have to go up there, introduce yourself and talk.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. If the situation presents itself, take it. The more you pressure and force yourself, the more the shyness/anxiety will take over. However, on the flip side, you will never get over your shyness if you never talk to girls.

Ask her very opened ended questions about things you share in common at that moment (bar, band, drink, etc.. ) and continue on. Listen to her answers and form more conversation topics from there.

It should all flow very smoothly. Try to work in some humor if possible.

Remember, they are scared, nervous, and shy too.
    ImTotallyLost Posts: 134, Reputation: 24

Jan 27, 2009, 12:24 PM

I think most of the people are shy out of fear of putting themselves out, fear of being judged by someone they don't know... At least, I think this is my case.

I am still very shy when meeting new people but I learned how to deal with it by always asking myself "what's the worse that can happen?". Think about this for a second. Well, the worst that can happen is... nothing! It's one of those situations where you have nothing to lose.

Don't know if that helps.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
    In a lot of cases first meetings and even second, third can be scary... I'm the sort of person who gets nervous as well. (lol prob why I like casual hangouts instead of dates)

But taking about the here and now is a good start, if the conversation is a little rickety in the beginning then you could always have a few topics on hand... or questions...

As for reasons for being nervous. Well, personally I'm scared of saying the wrong things, or for stumbling over my words etc . And about being judged, but usually what I calm myself down with is; what do I have to loose (like ImTotallyLost said) and its never as bad as I think, and before hand I try to remind myself of my better qualities and not put myself down... to think about happy stuff helps as well...

LOL the third time I was going to see this guy I'm seeing right now I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up. :P (it worked out just fine though, even now after seeing him a couple of more times I still get really nervous when I see him or talk to him on the phone and stuff, lol anxiety issues)

Do when it comes to shyness I guess you could figure out a way to either distract yourself from it, or a way to make it disappear a little/lessen.

I use humor as a way to make my anxiety lessen for example

Hope this helps a little at least ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to overcome shyness and boringosity in a gay teen? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a gay teenager and I have never been kissed. I know that I live in a small town and that gay people are hard to find but I have already had a few opportunities to be in a relationship. The problem is that I am too shy to just start talking to people unless I know them well or it is not an...

How can I overcome my shyness with girls ? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I overcome my shyness with girls I have a lot of trouble talking to them can some one give me some advice?

Overcome shyness [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a junior in high school and I still haven't had a real boyfriend. Well, I've had those fake relationships in like 8th grade, but I haven't really had a boyfriend. A lot of guys like flirt with me and I flirt back but since I'm so shy it never goes further than that. It sucks because it seems...

My shyness [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pple I'm f, 20 years. I feel really shy to speak boldly to the people around me, especially to boys.. I'm not able to look at their eyes and I'm not able to find the reason why. I really want to overcome this problem. Help me come out of this, give me a good solution...

View more questions Search