Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Tractor battery
    Can I charge my tractor battery (it is currently not in the tractor) with one of those portable electric batteries that are commonly used to jump start engines and power small appliances? I would like to charge it up before putting it in the tractor this spring.

My "generator" has the black and red clamps...

Thank you for any help
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 25, 2009, 11:49 AM

You would be better off using a trickle charger to slowly charge the battery . Im not sure exactly what you are thinking of using but if its what I think it is they are not meant for mainting a charge just more for start up assistance when faced with a dead battery. I would be worried about using this type of device to charge a stored battery its seems to me there is a great risk of overcharging. Over charging can produce really nasty results.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 25, 2009, 02:57 PM

I looked your model up and it does not appear to be a trickle. Check auto parts stores most carry a few different trickle chargers and they aren't overly expensive I paid lss than 30 bucks for mine from advance auto parts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recharging lawn tractor battery [ 3 Answers ]

My John Deere battery for my lawn tractor -- LT 133 -- is (almost) dead. Can I jump start it by using battery cables hooked up to my Ford van, or is the van battery too powerful for the Deere? I don't want to fry either or both.

Lawn Tractor Battery Keeps Dying [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Scott's lawn tractor. The batter is a year old. I replaced it because of this recurring problem. I have to charge it about every time I use the tractor. Once the battery is charged the tractor starts fine. There is water in the battery. Is there something like an alternator in a...

Tractor battery charging [ 1 Answers ]

This may be a novice (aka stupid question), but I removed my uncharged battery from my lawn tractor (12 V) and it has little to no charge... I have one of those jump start charge/battery things... without jump starting the tractor with the battery in the tractor, can I just charge the battery with...

MTD Lawn Tractor - Battery not charging [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced with new battery, tractor started right up. Next time I tried to start battery is dead. Able to jump start via jumper cables ….is there an alternator on this thing to charge battery why’ll in use? (I’ve cleaned all cables). Thanks for your help

Need new tractor battery [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 Briggs and Stratton in a MTD Yardman Ranch King Tractor, I need a new battery but the last one is missing... no one in my area can seem to give me a straight anser as to what battery or specs to use.

View more questions Search