Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joan Alexander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Can I take my child out as a Dependent on my Income Tax
    My son pays child support for his daughter & has her on his health benefits at work. Her mother has primary physical custody & they share legal custody of the baby, but he does have her 2x a week. Can my son take her out as a dependent on his income tax, since he pays a extremely high amount of support??
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 03:01 PM

The support agreement should cover it. If it does not, the IRS says that the custodial parent gets the deduction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 05:58 PM

No, merely paying child support does not give him a right to claim the child. And child support is set by state law, so if it is normally about 15 to 20 percent of his gross plus other money

But if he gets to file is in the child custody agreement, if it is not stated, then he can not

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get earned income for my dependent parents? [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I claimed both of my parents as dependents but I was wondering if I can also get earned income credit for them? They are both disabled and living with me.

Who qualifies as a dependent for federal income tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents are not US citizens or US residences. They lived with me for 6 months in 2007. Can I claim them as dependents?

How do I claim a dependent on taxes with no income? [ 2 Answers ]

How Do I Claim My Child On Taxes If I Had No Income All Year Long?

Income tax: Non resident dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert, I have the question about the $ 3300 deduction for the dependent. I got married in December 2006. My wife came to US in 2007. I am using turbo tax to file my income tax returns. It guided me through a set of questions like 1) Was your status...

Income Tax for H1B Holder and H4 Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US on 31st Aug 2006 on H1B Visa. After that I got my SSN. My Dependent Wife landed in US on 7th Oct 2006 on H4 Visa. Yet I have not applied for her ITIN Number and she is not eligible for SSN. For the year 2006, 1) How should I file my IT Returns, as a Single or Married...

View more questions Search