Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
    So worried about my boyfriend's epilepsy
    I've been seeing my boyfriend for about 6 months and we've grown extremely close already. I knew all along that he has epilepsy but only over the last couple of weeks it's really started to scare me. He has no other medical conditions and like many cases of epilepsy, it's just there for no apparent reason (which I understand is less risky than other forms of the illness). He takes medication and has not had a seizure for over two years, but I really can't stop worrying about him. As he's only ever had seizures when sleeping, every morning I'm really anxious until I hear from him just in case.

Do I need to be so worried? I know it's extremely rare to die from a seizure but I just don't know what I would do if it happened and I can't stop thinking about it recently :(

Thanks in advance.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 11:15 AM

I had a boyfriend who had epilepsy, and it really became a problem. He went seizure free for two years, and reapplied for his driver's license and bought a car. On the way to work on a very busy street, he had a seizure and his car went across the center line and into the grass right by an expressway overpass.

Anyway... you can't live your life in fear. If you stay with him, you have to accept his handicap and that it may be fatal, but go on and live, but not in fear.

Best wishes, :)
    Fizzy Burst Posts: 34, Reputation: 6

Jan 19, 2009, 09:00 PM

You really have nothing to worry about. I have seizures and this is how I look at it as it pertains to relationships. It's nice to know that there is someone who cares, but don't get overly scared about them. That just makes it frustrating for us. We have to live with them, and have gotten use to them so they turn into really being not that big of a deal. It's frustrating when others start to make them out to be a bigger deal than they actually are. It's sweat to show concern, it's annoying to be overly scared.
    karebear0042 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 09:12 PM

My situation is amazingly similar. I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months, and he's my best friend. However, he's had mono for 4 of those 7 months and has recently developed something along the lines of a panic attack, but he blacks out during them. Most of the time he doesn't realize that he's had one; I have to tell him. It's really scary, but I'm doing my best to be there for him. It's been tough being with him--I sometimes felt that I was losing myself by dedicating most of my time to worrying about him.
    marie777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 02:22 AM

I have had Epilepsy for 4 years now but haven't had a seizure in 3 years. I was scared in the beginning but these days I don't even think about it anymore.
    My current boyfriend knows that I might have a seizure one day.Knowing that he's so calm about it and knows how to react if it happens makes me not to worry at all.
    When other people made a big deal out of it or were freaking out, that made me very uncomfortable and made my "episode" even worse. Hearing a calm voice when having a seizure made a big difference for me.
    Really,it's not a big deal.Just find out what to do if he has a seizure and don't worry so much. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister might have epilepsy, can she just get it at 18? [ 9 Answers ]

My sister has been fainting when she has been in nightclubs and says now that she is fainting when looking at the flames of a fire, can she get it at 18, can it just come on like that? Also I was wondering how will it affect her in the long term, if she does have it, will there be side effects...

Epilepsy medicine [ 7 Answers ]

Is there somewhere my daughter can get help with her epilepsy medication? It's $142.00 a month and she can't afford it.

Epilepsy? There is a cure. [ 12 Answers ]

Thirty years ago I came across a solution for epilepsy and I tried it first on a friend who had grand mal fits every day. I thin advertised... her fits stopped, but when she told her doctor he said he would strike her off his books if she continued "this foolishness". She stopped my...

Epilepsy & Sex [ 10 Answers ]

I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal) I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?

View more questions Search