Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Tingling and Numbness
    Yesterday I woke up. Came out to use the computer and leaned my arm on the arm rest. My arm from the albow and up half way was completely numb and tingling. It has not gone away. This is the second day and still feeling the same way. Anybody experience this for a long time?

Joe
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Hi Joe,
    I'm not really sure what is causing this exactly. It is interesting that the pain, tingling or numbness radiates up from your elbow and not downward. Though my first guess would be some sort of irritation of the ulnar nerve. Have you had any odd sensations in your ring or little fingers of that hand? When you rest your elbow on things are the symptoms worse?
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 07:47 AM
    When I rest my arm on things that is when it is worse. It is weird. I do not really feel anything weird in my hand.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Hi,
    I am sure that you have considered seeing a doctor. Please do.
    It might be nothing, then again, might need checking out.
    I sometimes feel a numbness in my hand or fingers, especially if I sleep on it for awhile. It goes away after a little.
    If this continues, please see a doctor and get checked out.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jul 30, 2006, 10:18 AM
    I have a herniated disk that causes me problems with my numbness like you... but not as serious yet... mine is in arm and leg... surgeon said I have 2 herniated disk... have yourself checked out immediately
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
    I went to the clinic and he checked my arm and says he thinks everything is fine but I am not to sure. He said I probably just slept on it the wrong way, but for years I have had very stiff neck and shoulder problems and lately back problems so I think your right. I will go get a second opinion especially if it remains.

Thank you for your answers.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Hi Joe,
    The fact that applying pressure to the elbow causes you increased pain likely does indicate involvement of the ulnar nerve, though if the problem originated here, you would likely have some numbness or tingling in your outer two fingers. Though the fact that the pain is being felt further up your arm, also did lead me to believe that perhaps it did originate further up. That you mention a stiff neck and shoulder problems, leads me to believe this could possibly be something known as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, a relatively common disorder in which the scalene muscles on the side of the neck tighten and compress the brachial plexus, a bundle of spinal nerves supplying the arm. There is often some vascular involvement as well. TOS could also cause pain in the chest, headaches, and other symptoms. Lifting your arms over your head would likely cause the symptoms to worsen. If you do experience any of this, this might be something worth inquiring into. I agree with Fred though, if it has been an ongoing problem or continues for any legnth of time, do get a second opinion. A general practitioner may not be the best equipped to properly recognize or diagnose such a problem. If possible, it would be best to talk with a neurologist or a physical therapist. There is definitely a concrete cause to these symptoms.
    Hope you find an answer soon. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Numbness in hand [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's wrists hurt, almost like a soreness. Her doctor had told her that it is to do with the tendons and she needs to see a physical therapist. I tend to think she should go see an orthopedic doctor. Anyway, her one hand goes numb anytime she hits a certain spot in her wrist. It doesn't happen...

Numbness, coldness and pain in arms [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: For three months my arms have been acting up, first I would just wake up and be unable to move one of my arms. Though now during the day and randomly my arm(s) will start to get very cold and it is very painful at times to move it; this is accomanied by a tingling sensation. Does anyone...

Numbness in arms [ 1 Answers ]

::)What could cause my arms to suddenly go numb and feel so heavy.I can't lift them when this happens. They feel like dead weight. It comes on suddenly,just out of nowhere.It will last for about five or so minutes,then they just feel funny for a little while after.Thank you for any help you can...

View more questions Search