Old coin prices
    How much are the following:

1831 Silver Dollar & a 1942 Silver Half Dollar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Hello Bayley:

There's a LOT more to it than that...

It's like asking how much a 1966 Mustang is worth... If the Mustang is in the junk yard, it's still worth a few bucks because it's a desirable car... But, if it's CHERRY, and LOW MILEAGE, it's worth maybe a half a million $$$$$.

Same thing with your coins.

I'd take 'em to a few local coin shops for an appraisal. And, I DO mean a FEW.

excon
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 11:00 PM

Bayley - i will need to know what the( mint mark)is on the coin you have<the 1942,
    It will be one without a mint mark< or a { d} {s}note ( the 1942 s also had a small s and some had a large s mint mark> you will find the mint mark on the reverse {back} side< to the left about 1/4"above the "h" of the word half.
    Also i will need you to study the coin
    And figure as close as you can to what you think the condition and grade of the coins are in. at the top of the page on collectables page you will see a sticky <go to it it will give you the information on how to grade the condition of your coins:: awaiting your reply with the answers to my questions:: on the 1831 silver dollar ,i am going to write out about this one, there is some history on this coin< that you may not be aware of > i will get it done tomorrow for you and post tomorrow night :: f.b.e.
    curtisst Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2009, 07:17 PM

As sated above is a good start. The current issue of "Coin Prices" does not show a listing for a 1831 silver dollar as dollar production was suspended from 1805 to 1839. Please try to scan in a photo of the coin you think is a dollar so we could get an idea as to what this coin might actually be.
    Secondly, the 1942 half dollar lists from $3.80 in "Good" to $150.00 in "Mint stae 65 uncirculated. It is a common coin by production numbers (42,839,120 of these coins were made). Also try to scan in a photo so we could give you a guestimate of it's value. When scanning the coin, try to crop it to the max to give it the greatest clarity. If you do not the borders on the scanner will eliminate much of the detail as you will also be scanning all the surface of the scanner bed.
    Local dealers are paying very little for common coins but even if this coins grades poorly it may be worth more than catalog value depending on the current price of silver. For example, if the coin only grades good for condition, it may be worth more just for the silver content. At $12.00 an ounce for silver it may be worth 12X face value, or $6.00. Keep us imformed as to your progress. Take care and good luck... Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 06:32 PM

Bayley _ the 1831 coin you have ,does it have a eagle flying off tio the left??
    On the reverse side >> tom was right on his post < i was going to write about the same things. Please if you can post a picture of the coin <if you can't <please make sure that the date is right: and for knowing how to grade and find the condition of a coin < go to this site- { http:www.acoin.com?gradeing.htm.} have a good day and god bless ::f.b.e.

Jan 17, 2009, 07:00 PM

Hello Flying Eagle! Nice to meet you here. I see that you are quite a busy fellow. I'm not sure how often I will be able to get back here, but I love helping people out so I will do my best. I do not use spell check, as you can see (lol),prefer to learn as I go plus I have a sticky t as you might have noticed. Too many coffee spills ans sometimes not enough sleep. Hope to run into you often though. Have a great 2009 and God bless. Tom
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
    I'm assuming that F.B.E. means the following link in his post.

http://www.acoin.com/grading.htm

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 10:15 PM

CLOUGH _ You caugh me ON that one.I can see where I messed up though; THANKS for bringing it to my att. TIS nots THIS olds REBEL CATS SCHEEL< ITS JUST MINES OLD FINGERS CANTS SOMTAMES cvansts:: I thionk Im just like currest just said I HIT THE WRONG KEYS SOMETIMES > MY MIDDLE FINGER ON THE RIGHT HANMD HAS A CALLAS A INCH THICK < I THINK THEY CALLS IT (HUNT AND PECK ) I never took typeiing in school. They didn't have it thern
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 10:41 PM

CURTISST= Hello tom ,glad to meet you and welcome to the site . You will meet a lot of good people on this site ,really I mean ASK ME HELP DESK , I do have some health problems and siome times I won't be here for a fewe days at a time ,as CLOUGH will tell you , HE has done a wonderful job covering for me at those times , Im thankful to have a good friend like him in my corner :: You will find that he is very helpful and really knowlgeable:: IF you habve a probl;erm just holler for him . BY the way IM A ( ANA & NGC MEMBER AND I JUST FOUND OUT SOME THINGS, THAT IS GOING TO CURL EVERY ONES HAIR SIDE WAYS. I AM GOING TO FIND OUT ABOUT GETTING A STICKY ON IT : IT HAS TO DO WITH ( CHINA ) There is a counterfitter over there making counterfit coins , the letter said that last year there was over ( ! Million dollars that was sold on E-BAY:: There is no law there that can stop them, AND the USA sold the presses and plates to them :: NOW Don't THIS CURL YOUR HAIR SIDE WAYS ; THIS HAS BEEN IN THE (NUMISMATIC LETTERS ) FOR THE PAST COUPLE MONTHSJUST THAUGHT YOU AND CLOUGH WOULD LIKE A SHOR PREVIEW :: YOU AL HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS:
    F.B.E.

Jan 21, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Hello to you Flying Eagle!
    Nice to hear from you and thank you for the welcome message. I too, may not be on all the time, working full time, remodeling the home, and taking care of it myself, etc.
    I have heard that China has been illegally producing the "Cash" coins for some time but I have not seen anything else as of yet. These Cash coins are readily available all over the web, so to all buyers-BEWARE! A funny thing about your screen name as I just purchased my first B.U. Flying Eagle cent, 1857. What a pretty addition to my collection indeed. I am currently upgrading the coins in the Indian cent series to all B.U. as my finances allow. It's nice because I am am on Half.com selling various media, including books, video discs, video tapes and music and my earnings from there finance my love of coins.
    It was nice to hear from you and hope to stay in touch as much as possible. Take care, hope you are feeling better and that 2009 brings you many good things. God bless you also. Tom:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collectible coin prices [ 5 Answers ]

I have some silver dollars dating back to 1921 and would like to find an approximate value. I have talked with professional collectors online, but there always seemed to be a catch or the proverbial "probably not worth much, send them to us and we will give you a quote". I am not interested in...

Coin value [ 2 Answers ]

would like to know approx value of a 1967 $20 canadian gold coin in almost mint condition

Coin value [ 2 Answers ]

value of u.s.$10 gold liberty 1907 excellent cond

What Coin is this? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had this coin for maybe 10 or more years... now I have no idea what it is.. I know it's a Franklin mint but can't quite really read the year... one side has this mans face looking side ways and has the name sir modred on it and the other side has some english figure... no other words... if any...

View more questions Search