Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heavy10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Sued by credit card company, wage garnishment?
    I am being sued by a credit card for approx. 20k. I am currently enrolled with a debt settlement program, but do not have enough funds accumulated to make a settlement offer yet. I am responding to the summons and making a motion to compel arbitration (I guess to buy some time to save up more money), but I am worried that I will end up in court anyway. I want to avoid wage garnishment if at all possible, but don't know what is best. I am a single mother who rents her apartment. I have been told that the credit card company will win the judgment. Is it possible that I can work out a payment plan in court or will the judge automatically order wage garnishment? Should I try to avoid going to court at any cost? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 14, 2009, 09:40 AM

The WORST thing to do is not show up for court,because if you don't show up a default judgement will be given and that will give the cc company the right to not only garnish your wages but attach your bank account as well.
    Have you tried to work out a payment plan in the past before you got the summons? Did you ignore calls and letters from them? You should have gotten a lot of letters and calls prior to the summons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Can credit card debt be garnished from wages in Ms. or Al.

Credit card and wage garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have been notified by Chase that they are going to take me to court for the credit card, I haven't been able to pay. I was notified by a notecard in the mail. They jacked up the interest rate, so I can't even afford the minimum payments. I have been seeking information about wage...

Credit card debt wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

OK well I was extremely irresponisble with a credit card as are a lot of 21 year olds.. but I got way behind on my discover account and they turned me over to this lawyers office about my account.. well we came up with an agreement and needless to say they been taking money out of my account for...

Wage Garnishment from credit card company [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings~ We received notification from a credit card company approximately 4 months ago that it would be going to garnishment. My husband called & tried to work out an arrangement, but was told it was too late... the process had already begun for garnishment. Nothing happened & when he called...

Credit card wage garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

Can credit card companies garnish wages?

View more questions Search