Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ztealth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Theft Charges---Lost Prevention Officer Interrogation
    I was caught shoplifting a few weeks ago when the Lost Prevention Officers
    Checked my bag and found items that they believed were stolen from the store.
    They had no proof. But I had no receipts for the items that were found in my bag. I asked if they saw me take it, they said no.

But they contained me in a room, they read me this passage stating they are arresting me for theft and would provide me with an attorney. However, they did not let me call, they also took away my phone, and started to pick up my phone when calls came in and telling to whoever was on the line that I was shoplifting. I was like ", you can't do that".. they said "You lost all your rights buddy." They kept filling out a police report and kept writing down the story, but I was not allowed to look at it. They forced me to admit to the crime, which I regret doing. They said nothing will happen if you admit to it, you will just be ban from this store, that's all. I asked them when I can call an attorney, they kept saying later. Then they called the cops, and I was cuffed back to the police station, I finally got a chance to call a legal aid, and he told me not to say anything to the police even though I admit it to the LPOs. I kept my mouth shut, and I was released from the police department with Theft Under charges.

My question is, are there any flaws in the procedures of the LPOs that can help me get away with the charges? There is no witness to the interrogation by the LPOs, and they never let me call a legal aid when they said that everything I said would be used against me in court...

Help is appreciated! Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:49 AM
    Hello z:

If you admitted it, and/or signed a statement, and/or if they have you on tape, you're toast.

excon
    jewood32 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 04:02 PM
    You say they made reference to offerening you an attorney and anything you say will be used against you in court. Sounds like they read you miranda. Doesn't look good, but consult with your attorney for the best advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 07:18 PM

The private security do not even have to read you any miranda rights, they may to make it sound more legal or the stores attorney require it.

Next, they just don't stop anyone or everyone so they had to have a reason to suspect you did it.
    That is why they stopped you.

And guess what they or even the police can lie to you ( like tell you it will go easier if you confess)

So unless they were threatenig you or hurting you to confess you cofessed and it sounds like your confession may be able to be used. But that is why attornenys try and get them thrown out if at all possible.
    ztealth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 12:19 AM
    The situation here is, I only confessed to the LPOs, however, none of it was taped, I didn't sign the statement. I was forced into confession as well and was not given a chance to call a lawyer even though I wanted to.

I did not confess to the cops either. I did not say a word.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ztealth View Post
    The situation here is, I only confessed to the LPOs, however, none of it was taped, i didn't sign the statement. I was forced into confession as well and was not given a chance to call a lawyer even though I wanted to.

I did not confess to the cops either. I did not say a word.

So - did you steal the merchandise? And if you did, can they prove it? If they are accusing you it would appear that somebody, somewhere thinks you did and think they have enough good evidence to prove it.

A confession is a confession - it will be your word against theirs.
    rbilow Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Dec 20, 2010, 09:41 AM
    They can't search you or your bags without permission or a warrant. Even the police can't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking...

Criminal charges that were hyped by a sworn police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I have been cgarged with felony assault/dang.weapon or substance,manufac/poss/deliver sch 11,possession of marijunana-sub offense,resisting legal or illlegal arrest.on 7/13/06 cameras of stop%shop were active and recorded the whole incident,the attorney generals office in providence,ri keeps...

Theft charges [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering if there are theft charges for under 1000.00 or even 500.00? If someone was charged for theft and the items value was 280.00 why would they be charged with theft under 5000.00?

Theft but no charges? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of instances where you were caught shoplifting in a grocery chainstore by their in house loss prevention officer and the police are called, but the police did not end up laying down charges for theft? Did the loss prevention officer have influence over the possibility of having...

View more questions Search