Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Throttle1982 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Front driveshaft vibration
    I've got a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a pretty bad front driveshaft vibration.
    When I remove the front driveshfat from the vehicle and do 60mph it doesn't vibrate. When the driveshaft is installed it vibrates.
    I've replaced the U-joints in it, and even tried rotating the front axle for a better pinion angle (vehicle is slightly lifted) No change.
    I've even gone to the wrecker to pick up a new shaft in case mine was bent, and no luck. Shaft continues to vibrate... I'm at a loss at what could be causing this.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:26 PM

You might have gotten a bad u-joint.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 03:44 PM

Drive line angle, bad universal joint, bend drive shaft, bad bearing in the front end, all can cause vibrations. Heck, even dirt stuck in one of the ujoints can cause it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disconnect front driveshaft [ 1 Answers ]

I am retired from my auto repair business after 42 years. I am going to help my son re-gear both differentials on his 2002 GMC 4-wheel drive automatic 2500 pickup. We will not have the time to re-gear both front and rear at the same time. Will it hurt to re-gear the rear and drive with the front...

1988 jeep cherokee [ 2 Answers ]

For some reason my truck those not what start at all I turn the key and nothing happens I have full power and sometimes if I mess with the gears I put it on N then back to P and then P, I do that for a couple of times and then turn the key it turns on if its on N.then I turn it off I try to turn...

My gauges are freaking out in my 1998 cherokee jeep. [ 1 Answers ]

First the speed reads 0 until the jeep is warmed up even if I am driving 60 miles an hour it reads 0 , and then goes up and down at times like crazy. Now my gas gauge does not work says it has gas and runs out. How do I go about fixing this problem any answer appreciated.

View more questions Search