Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Potty Training
    I have read differing thoughts on this matter and just wanted to get some input.

I read that a kid will let you know when he is ready to start potty training. At what age should we start taking matters into our own hands and let him know he is ready? Our son is turning 3 next month and has shown NO interest.

Can someone recommend/review a book on the topic?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Hi Steve,

I follow the same theory as you - the child will let you know. My son will turn 4 in a couple of weeks and he has the peeing part down but the interest in pooping on the toilet isn't there yet. We started the whole toilet training process by having the potty out and ready, letting him know that a reward exists for using the potty and reassuring him that we will show him how and help him.

Sorry I don't know of any book. We just kept reminding him if he needs to use the potty and eventually he proudly announced that he wanted to try it.

Good luck!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 11:26 AM

He may not show an interest but you can watch for signs he is becoming physically ready. Staying dry through naps or through the night, wanting to get changed when he wets or has a bowel movement, possibly hides when he is having a bowel movement (let's you know he is becoming more aware of the sensation), etc..
    You can start with the basics... have a toilet available to him, let him come in with you when you use the toilet, talk to him about feeling when he has to go, perhaps use a reward system when he tries, let him pick out big boy pants to use, read stories about children using the toilet, etc..
    He may show an interest fairly soon, he may not until he is a bit older, but you can bring the subject up every now and then. When he is ready it should be relatively easy.
    jai_myers Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2009, 07:42 AM

I have a 2 year old that shows no interest in going to the potty. But I've trained 2 others and he's taking his time with it. You have to show them that going to the potty is a good thing. Reward them when they go and it makes them keep going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is 3 and I can't seem to get her to go to the restroom she understands what you do in the restroom and all of that but we can't get her to tell us so that she can sit in her potty chair what can I do to get her ready so that she can go to school :confused: :confused: :confused:

Potty Training [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having a hard time getting my 3 1/2 year old son potty trained. He will go pee in the toilet, but he will not poop. He will go peep in the toilet then go and poop in his pants. I have tried everything! Anyone please help. I don't want him starting pre-school still potting in his...

Potty training for 8yr boy [ 12 Answers ]

My 8 yr old boy is not able to clean himself properly after poop, which stained his underwears.. its disgusting but he doesn't feel bad at all.. He developed this habit in 2-3 months before... we explained him so many times to improve it.. grounded him... gave him time out... seems nothing...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

View more questions Search