Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jimathome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Shower problems
    We recently bought an older house (1950's or so) and there is a problem with the basement shower/sink & toilet. They are all side by side in the basement and the shower looks unused. Initially I noticed a strong sewer smell in the basement. Didn't know where it came from. But when I flushed the toilet or when I tried the sink faucet, water started coming up the shower drain. It doesn't make a noise or anything (so may not be a venting ptoblem). COuld it be plugged or maybe a bad DIY plumbing job?

Thank you
    pinkpanthernot Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2006, 03:25 AM
    The initial sewer gas odor was noticed because the appliances had been unused for some time and the water simply evaporated from the shower and/or the sink trap allowing the smell to enter the basement. Flushing the toilet and running the sink faucets effectively filled the traps and eliminated the odor.
    Your system is probably vented OK if there is no movement of the water in the basement toilet bowl when you flush an upstairs toilet.
    Sounds to me like there is a stoppage in the basement sewer line possibly where it joins the main line. If there is no cleanout access in the basement, you may need to remove the toilet and run a snake into the line from there which should solve your problem.
    Jimathome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 02:32 PM
    I have cleanout access in the basement for the main sewer line, the main floor bathroom and the kitchen sink. Can I use any of these? Also there is a sewer bakup valve right next to the basement bathrooms/shower/sink. Can I use that to clean the line instead of removing the toilet?
    Thanks
    pinkpanthernot Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2006, 04:39 AM
    I'm not sure what a sewer bakup valve is-is it something like a backflow preventer? At any rate, if you can flush upstairs toilets and not cause basement shower backups, your problem isn't in the main sewer line and is isolated to the basement branch anywhere from where it ties into the mainline upstream to the basement.
    Describe please the "bakup valve" so I can maybe figure out what it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower issues-scald guard or pressure problems? [ 5 Answers ]

We moved into our 90 year old home in April. In 2001 a nice addition was put on that included a master bath with tile surround and 2 showers in the surround. I noticed at first that when I pushed the handle all the way to the hottest setting (on both showers), the water cut off all the sudden to...

Water Dranage problems in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Ny apartment was built by hand out of a garage.. all the pluming is fine its been checked professionally but Every single time we have a shower (stand up shower) water will fill up past your toes... it will drain on its own given time or almost instantly after you rinse the shampoo into the...

Shower problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, About 3 months ago, Speedball helped me install a new Moen 1225 cartridge in my shower. It's been working great. However, within the last week or so, my shower has developed a strange symptom. About half the time I shower, for the first two-three minutes I can't get the water cool enough...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Shower diverter problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have Central brand -shower diverter that stops all water from flowing when the pressure is to high and the water is hot. I have attempted to take it apart and cannot get the stem out?? :confused: Any suggegestions Thanks Mark

View more questions Search