Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownbunny32 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Maryland-Legally evicting a 17 year 11 month old
    Happy New Year all

I have a friend that I wish would change her mind about evicting her son but she is heck bent on doing it. So I would like for her to avoid any legal actions, so my question is: Her son will be 18 years of age on February 14th will she need to give him a 30 day notice letter on January 15th in order to ask him to leave on February 14th? Or will she need to go to court to file an eviction notice? Or can she just ask him to leave on February 14th without any notice?

Sadly thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownbunny32 View Post
    Happy New Year all

I have a friend that I wish would change her mind about evicting her son but she is heck bent on doing it. So I would like for her to avoid any legal actions, so my question is: Her son will be 18 years of age on February 14th will she need to give him a 30 day notice letter on January 15th in order to ask him to leave on February 14th? Or will she need to go to court to file an eviction notice? Or can she just ask him to leave on February 14th without any notice?

Sadly thank you.

In Maryland the landlord (your friend) MUST give the tenant written notice at least one month before he or she wants the tenant out.

If the son does not move out, then your friend files the eviction notice with the Court.

Obviously if your friend is somehow in danger then she needs to get a protective order - but I see no indication of that from what you have posted.

On a personal note - these are always hard questions (family evictions).

Jan 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Thank you for the advice I will pass it on.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Happy New Year all

Sadly thank you.
    Even though the child has turned 18 there still may be legal obligation from the parent to support the child if they are still attending school. If that's the case then you would have to wait until June to be safe.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Even though the child has turned 18 there still may be legal obligation from the parent to support the child if they are still attending school. If thats the case then you would have to wait until June to be safe.

Good catch - never occurred to me that the child might still be in high school, although I'm not sure that the parent has to shelter the child after age 18.

But good catch - I missed it.

Jan 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Even though the child has turned 18 there still may be legal obligation from the parent to support the child if they are still attending school. If thats the case then you would have to wait until June to be safe.
    No the child has not been in school since he was 16. He was put out because of attendance and he could not be registered in another school in that county.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
    No the child has not been in school since he was 16. He was put out because of attendance and he could not be registered in another school in that county.
    I thought of something else too. If the child is under 18 years of age then they can't be served with notice of eviction. They can't even legally sign a document. That notice would have to be served on a parent or guardian. They are best to wait a month or 2.

Feb 11, 2009, 02:25 PM

Update!
    My friend has accepted a job out of state (FL) and she has found a home there. She starts on the 17th of Feb (after her son turns 18). She is leaving with out her son. :( Thanks for all the advice.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Update!
    My friend has accepted a job out of state (FL) and she has found a home there. She starts on the 17th of Feb (after her son turns 18). She is leaving with out her son. :( Thanks for all the advice.

Hardly anyone EVER comes back with an update, let alone a thank you! Stick around and join us here. You don't have to stick to this thread. Lots of nice people on other threads (but not as nice as those of us here - :D)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 04:40 PM

That's great, but she may not have gotten off totally free.

What was her living situation in MD? Was she renting? Did she give the landlord enough notice, Did she break her lease?

She just can't abandon where she lived.

Feb 19, 2009, 08:29 AM

Yes she gave her landlord 30 days notice before she moved. Her son joined job corp so I am happy he is not just out on the street. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Yes she gave her landlord 30 days notice before she moved. Her son joined job corp so I am happy he is not just out on the street. Thanks again.

Thanks for coming back and letting "us" know how things worked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitation after 4 year absence (maryland) [ 7 Answers ]

My husband has a 7 year old son. He exercised visitation for the first year, then did not see him at all for 4 1/2 years, by his own choice (obviously a very bad one). Two years ago he contacted his son's mother to resume visitation. She was understandably apprehensive, but finally agreed to...

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

16 year old caught shoplifting in Maryland [ 4 Answers ]

This is her first offense. The amount was $90. She is banned from all Kmarts either for life or 10 years, wasn't sure on the paper. Her and her friend. What do you think her punishment will be. She is 16 and we live in prince george's county Maryland. We will have to go to court.

How can I legally get out of a 6 month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

Dear folks, I moved out of my old house that I was currently residing in with my boyfriend of 5 yrs. We got back together a short while later (3month) and found a great little one bedroom. Anyhow, I have been living here for 2 months and already I can't stand it, I'm being emotionally abused. I...

View more questions Search