Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdh7630 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
    18 Year Old Son a Senior High school
    I have an 18 year old son whom is in his senior year. I have raised him alone since 1997 along with his sisters. We are at a stage in his life where he is keeping secrets from me about who his friends are, getting high. He is in counceling and on medication for depression. We were close and I new most of his friends.

Is it normal for him to not want me to know who his friends are and where they live?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 12:45 AM

Hi, jdh7630!

Are you able to sit down with him so that you can discuss this with him? Have you already done that? If you speak with his counselor and make the counselor aware of some of your concerns, I'm sure that the counselor would be able to look into things in the sessions.

Your son is 18 and an adult. It's normal for a person to want to have a right to some privacy concerning themselves and their friends. However, if he's still living under your roof and your supporting him in various ways, then you do have rights to know about certain things, especially if they're causing problems.

Hopefully, others will be along to address your question.

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:33 AM

Yes and especially if he is getting high he will be more secretive. Since you are close and he is not being out and out rebellious you need to communicate with him as much as possible on all levels not only where you going and what you doing but also discuss his future, his potentials, his well being, etc...
    Also if he asks for money and other little things notice what and how anything you do may potentially be making you an enabler. Like he wants a ride to a party or he wants money for something because he spent HIS money on drugs.
    You might want to try an alanon meeting and discuss being enabler with them so you don't fall in the trap.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 05:33 AM

Most teens don't tell parents anything to start with, and if they are hanging out with the wrong crowd it is like a secret world

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

I need to know the nam of this song emerg its off high school high [ 3 Answers ]

Ok this song isn't on the soundtrack I went through all of them. The song starts when there about to do the chicky run. If you know it please tell me

Best possible classes for my Junior year of high school? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know: What do I need to do to get in the best possible classes for my Junior year of High School? I have been home schooled for three years, and I'm planning on going back to high school for my junior and senior years. For the time I have been out of school, I have traveled around Europe,...

5 year High School limit [ 3 Answers ]

My son was told by his school principal that if he does not finish his requirements this year he will not be allowed to graduate with a diploma. He had back surgery which caused him to miss a semester about 18 months ago. This is his fifth year and will be 20 next year. I have never heard of being...

My 18 yr. Old daughter who is in her last year of high school is out of control. [ 13 Answers ]

My 18 yr. old daughter is in her last year of high school. Her father (my ex- husband) died last year and since then she has been living with friends despite my numerous attempts to have her live with me and her younger brother and sister. She tells me that I cannot tell her what to do since she...

View more questions Search