Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roofrufus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Where to buy Philadelphia Oil Services Index
    Hi,
    I'm an inexperienced investor. I would like to buy OSX. I was wondering how I could find a mutual fund that offers it.
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 03:53 PM
    There is no easy way that I know of. You would have to read through mutual fund prospectuses until you find one that offers it. You might try starting with Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund.

Alternatively, you could determine what percentage of your portfolio you want in this stock and then invest that amount of money, allocating the rest to a mutual fund with a long track record that does not include the stock, which will be the vast majority of funds.

On a related note, I allow myself to invest 10 percent of my portfolio in individual stocks. The rest goes into Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund. It's tough for any investor to beat the market, even mutual fund and hedge fund managers. So I just buy the index, which represents the entire US stock market, and allow myself to invest 10 percent of my savings in individual stocks the unlikely event I turn out to be a genius.
    roofrufus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Thanks a lot, FrankK. I've read this twice and considered it. I think I agree generally. I think I'll probably put about half money for this year's IRA in Vanguard's Energy ETF and with the other half I'll try to replicate the PHLX Oil Services Index by buying each stock in the correct proportion, as best as I can figure out how.
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Sounds like a plan. I'm excited for you. One more thing though: as you continue to grow your investments, you might consider diversifying outside the energy sector. There are a lot of different takes on how diversified you should be, but I think all would agree that one sector is too narrow -- not necessarily short term, but long term.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philadelphia local tax [ 1 Answers ]

What is SUI/SDI taxes and what is it used for?

Eviction process in Philadelphia, Pa [ 1 Answers ]

What is the procedure for starting the eviction process for a tenant that is 4 months behind in their rent. The tenant is located in Philadelphia, Pa.

View more questions Search