Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Check out these fittings: Sharkbite connection system.
    My maintenance sales guy stopped in this morning and showed me this... and I'm still wowing over it:
    http://www.cashacme.com/sbpush.php

No heat, glue or tools needed - and use the same fitting for whether you're using copper, cpvc, cts or pex - or even going from one to the other.

I will definitely keep a stop and a coupling in my toolbox for emergencies - and may very well try it on my next job that needs a fitting in a hard to reach spot.

I'm usually skeptical when I see something as amazing as this - and think "if it looks too good to be true then it probably is"

... so Tom, or anyone else who does plumbing: have you used them?. and are they as amazing as they seem?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 11:58 AM
    I got to have some of these, The only thing bad, I wish I had thought of them and could retire now.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Yeah, no kidding. Truly amazing.
    I ordered a straight coupling and an end cap. Heck, now I'm half hoping for some emergency to come up so I can try it out :p
    krump Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
    How do you install sharkbite fittings
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krump
    how do you install sharkbite fittings
    For instructions on installing SharkBite fittings click on; http://www.cashacme.com/SharkBiteInst.pdf
    Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    ...so Tom, or anyone else who does plumbing: have you used them? ...and are they as amazing as they seem?
    These are a real boon for the 'Do-It-Yourself' market, but I wouldn't use them myself.

I'm not altogether comfortable with the thought of relying on a neoprene o-ring as the sole sealing surface for a fitting I am burying below ground or inside of a wall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Rick,
    They went on the market after I retired. As Growler said while I might use them for repair I'd never use them on new construction. Regards, Tom
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Apr 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    These are a real boon for the 'Do-It-Yourself' market, but I wouldn't use them myself.

I'm not altogether comfortable with the thought of relying on a neoprene o-ring as the sole sealing surface for a fitting I am burying below ground or inside of a wall.
    I agree with you, before I burry that in a wall I have to be sure its going to last and handle vibrations and some good old banging around. I do plan on getting one and installing it were I can keep an eye on it for a while and bang it around to see if I can get it to leak. But as the warranty claims 25 yrs at best.
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2007, 03:40 AM
    Is there still some skepticism on these things? I'm not burying anything, so should I feel free to use this? Would you rate these on par with compression fittings?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic pipe brass fittings? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I use brass compression fittings with 15mm plastic pipe? Thanks!

Curve fittings [ 1 Answers ]

I have curve and someone made an equation. OK, the questiones now are: 1-how can I think to make an equation? 2-what is the level of validity of this equation? thank u very much for helping

Gluing copper pipe fittings [ 4 Answers ]

comic sans ms5 Hi I'm very new to forums so I don't know if I'm even in the right place so please forgive my mistakes hopefully I'll learn how to do this without losing my sanity or driving anyone crazy. So here is my question I need to know if it is possible to glue copper pipe I don't like...

Gluing copper fittings? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have read about a product that claims to glue copper fittings together instead of soldering them. Lets just say that this product works as advertised. The product is called just for copper and they have a website www.justforcopper.com. What I am trying to figure out is, is gluing the...

View more questions Search