Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rodrigula Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Renters rights to deposit
    Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first time doing this and since I would like to do the right thing , here is my question.

My roommate , who is the owner of the apt that that I was renting a room at , notify me a while ago that he was going to rent the whole pleace because he was going to buy a house. He said it was not for certain , but it did happened, he did the closing on the 17 of this month , so he offered me to move to the new house . I said yes but , I got a really good offer on the 31 of dec to move at another place for a month for free, so I told him I was not going to move in with him. I told him that I was willing to give him 200 dollars out of the deposit since it was a last minute thing and he refuse, he wants to prorate me.

We don't have a contract, he did not put the deposit in an ascrow account like New Jersey state requires,never gave me a note of security deposit, according to the Security Deposit Act. And I paid him in checks all the time , which I can use as receipts. And I know he is not going to inform that income to the IRS.

He told me I was suppose to give him a 30 day notice , but how could I have done that , he signed the contract for the house on the 17 of this month and we had to be out by the 31st of December. I am trying to be nice , but I would like some advice, should I do.

V/R
    Rod
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

He gave you a choice to move with him that I would think is not the same as or have anything to do with your deposit where you are.
    He broke the contract for that place. Also I do not think the deposit is to be used that way. The deposit is to be used for damages that you caused and he is required to give you an itemized list of deductions for the damages. So I would say he owes you the entire amount of the deposit if all he wants is for a time difference that is mostly his doing.
    I think I would take him to court for the entire amount plus the interest and let the Judge sort it out.
    You may lose a friend but it sounds like you were on your way to being on his ex friend list anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters rights [ 2 Answers ]

Can a disabled person be evicted from a rental condo. If so, how much notice do they give you.

Renters rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a house that is going into foreclosure what are my rights as a tenant?

Renters security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 questions: I have been renting an apartment for the last 4 years. But when I started 4 years ago, I DID NOT have any credit history. So they took 1 months rent ($650) as security deposit + the first months rent ($650). But now that I have been with them for 4 years can I ask them to...

Renters security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use my security as my last months rent? My apartment is in perfect shape and I know that I should get my full deposit back, however, I do not think that my landlord will have the money needed to give me back my security deposit. I know that if she does not give me back my deposit with in 30...

Renters rights [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a large complex and my lease is up for renewal. The new lease is stating the complex will no longer be paying the water, sewer and heat as part of the rental amount. We do not have individual meters, so they will take the total amount due by the entire complex and divide that...

View more questions Search