Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondering Along Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Turned modem off and back on, now desktop comp. not finding the internet
    I had a problem accessing the internet with my laptop, so I turned our modem off, then back on. Actually the laptop had a different issue, but it was a quick fix, and now my laptop can access the internet again (yay!). Unfortunately, now the desktop computer is not finding the internet (I cannot access a webpage using either Windows Explorer or Firefox). I have tried turning everything off and unplugging the modem for a minute, then plugging it back in and turning everything on again - the desktop computer still can't access the internet. I feel like there must be an obvious, quick fix - any help would be appreciated!:(
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:01 AM

Are you hardwired to the modem or going through a router for wireless for both your lapto and desktop?

Jan 2, 2009, 10:16 AM

The laptop is wireless. I'm not sure about the desktop. It doesn't have the little "searching for wireless connections" icon so it might be hardwired to it.
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:21 AM

Well hoow do you conect the desktop to the router? If there is an ethernet cable going from your desktop to the router then it's not wireless, if there is no cable then it's wireless. Most desktops don't have built in wirless cards, most use after market or Wi-Fi USB Adapters.

Did this desktop work on the internet before?
    Do you have a USB Adapter in it!
    Does it suport wirless?

Let me know!

Jan 2, 2009, 10:33 AM

Yup, I'm seeing lots of cables. :)
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:40 AM

OK OK.
    Does one look like a thick phone cable with a jack on the end that looks like a big phone jack (this would be your ethernet cable) usually it's blue or green but can be any color.

Look at your router how many cables are plugged into the 4-port switch. I'm just trying to figure out if your computer is wirless capable or not and how you connect to te internet.

Ps. Did it work on the internet before??

Jan 2, 2009, 10:44 AM

Yes, there's an ethernet cable. The modem and the router each have three things plugged into them.
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:50 AM

So your desktop is hooked via ethernet to your router and your laptop is wireless correct?

Well the first ting to try is ant hardware issues, see if your ethernet card is enabled and running properly and see if it's possible to rollback, update drivers. Also disable and re-enable if possible. Also put the ethernet jack from your router to another port on the router (could be a bad port)

Try these steps and let me know! We'll fix the hardware issues first before dabbling in the software aspect!

Jan 2, 2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks so much for all your help and time - I went into the control panel and re-enabled something that must have been automatically disabled when I unplugged things - it's connected to the internet and I am SO happy!
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:56 AM

Perfect congrats! Enjoy your new-year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comp will talk to modem, but not to router [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me. I have this problem. I have an older computer running xp with service pack 2. my verizon dsl modem works fine when ever I plug it into my xbox or my computer. I always have the internet. So then I got a brand new belkin router for christmas, wonderful I would think at the time. ...

Internet/Modem Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this is where it goes, but move it if not. Ok so I have been having internet problems for a good two weeks or so. I have DSL and I would be using the computer and all of a sudden the internet light would go off. So I would diagnose the problem when the internet explorer "page can not be...

External Hard Drive turned off, now comp won't find it. [ 1 Answers ]

I turned off my External Hard Drive cause it was making a clicking sound, that was annoying me. Turned it off let it cool down for a while turned it back on the next day. Now I cannot find the Drive on my computer. I don't know where to start. Please help. Greatly appreciated:)

Make remote desktop through ADSL Modem [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ADSL access point modem(D-link DSL 2640T) at my home that Valid IP address is assigned on it. Also two PCs connect through the ADSL Modem access point to Internet. I want make remote desktop connection to one of the PCs from Intenet outside my home. Meanwhile the two PCs get...

Make remote desktop through ADSL Modem [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ADSL access point modem(D-link DSL 2640T) at my home that Valid IP address is assigned on it. Also two PCs connect through the ADSL Modem access point to Internet. I want make remote desktop connection to one of the PCs from Intenet outside my home. Meanwhile the two PCs get...

View more questions Search