Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddro Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Hot water in cold pipes and leaking pressure relief.
    Hello, I have a problem with hot water coming out of the cold water lines. The problem is twofold. I have a recirculation pump that recirculates hot water back to the tank for instant hot water at all taps. About 6 months ago the pressure relief valve started leaking around a gallon of water over 2 days. I have my water heater on a timer that starts at 3am off at 6am on again at 11am off at 1230pm and on again at 330pm and off at 730pm. I replaced the pressure relief valve and the problem continued. Lately the pressure relief valve stopped leaking however that's when the problem started with the hot water in the cold side. Not warm water HOT. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem? I should say we are 600 feet from the water meter and on a hill and have always had low water pressure. The house is 10 years old and no problems prior. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Install a check valve on the cold water inlet to the heater to prevent hot water from entering the cold water side and installing a expansion tank will stop the leakage out of the T & P valve. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 07:23 AM

In addition to Tom's advice: Leaking Temperature and Pressure Relieve valve is an indication of on of two things:

1. Pressure too high ( over 150 psi )
    Or
    2. Temperature in water heater too high ( depending on valve, but usually close to 200 degrees F )

Pressure is not your concern so it must by high temperature. Turn down your heater to around 125 degrees F. Replace the leaking T/P valve.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Do you have a sprinkler system or a backflow preventer installed on your water service? Back to you, Tom
    ddro Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Install a check valve on the cold water inlet to the heater to prevent hot water from entering the cold water side and installing a expansion tank will stop the leakage out of the T & P valve. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Hello and thanks, I noticed that when the pressure releif valve stopped leaking that is when the cold water side started getting hot water in it. Seems the check valve is bad and allowing the high pressure to be forced back into the cold side vs the pressure relief. The cold side into the water heater is hot to touch. Can check valve be serviced? Also how can I get higher water pressure? I adjusted the pressure valve on the main water house inlet to max and is still low. Do I need to install a pressure tank with compressor? I think the pressure is only 20-30psi. Bad for washing cars and kitchen sink. The bathtub fills quickly but all other water pressure is low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Low cold water pressure/how to flush pipes [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old house with two separate electric water heaters (both in attic) that service their respective sides of the house. One side of the house seems to have adequate hot/cold pressure and duration. The other has limited hot duration and next to no cold water pressure--hot pressure is...

Water leaking around pressure relief nipple [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a small amount of water leaking from the area where the pressure/temperature relief valve attaches to my Kenmore Powersaver 12, 80 gallon hot water tank. I replaced the relief valve which was encrusted pretty badly. However, the leak continues. And yes, I taped the threads. ...

Leaking pressure relief valve on h/w tank [ 4 Answers ]

The pressure relief valve keeps leaking. The h/w tank is about 9 months old. The problem started when the main line broke. The township had to turn my water off and when they fixed it and turned the water back on is when it started. Any help towards a solution is always appreciated. :)

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

View more questions Search