Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peter_simon2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 02:16 AM
    Friction (I really need it)
    What is the steepest incline that can be climbed by a car at constant velocity if the coefficient between the tires and the road is .60?
    visharad Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Jan 2, 2009, 04:55 AM

Let theta = angle of inclination
    What are the forces on the car? There are three forces
    1. Force of gravity vertically downward
    2. Normal force perpendicular to the incline
    3. Friction force up the incline
    Friction force = 0.60 * normal force
    Resolve all forces perpendicular to incline and make the resultant as zero
    Also resolve forces parallel to incline and make the resultant as zero
    From these equations, you will know the value of theta
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Jan 9, 2009, 07:26 PM

Do you understand why in this problem a constant speed of the car is mentioned?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friction [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing my physic coursework and have to explain why the greater the mass, the greater the frictional force,that the more uneven the surface the more frictional force and finally the greater the surface area the greater the friction. Please help it is for my coursework.

Properties of Friction [ 2 Answers ]

The floor of a railroad flatcar is loaded with loose crates having a coefficient of static friction of 0.25 with the floor.if the train is initially moving at a speed of 48km\h, in how short a distance can the train be stopped at constant acceleration without causing the crates to slide over the...

Static friction and kinetic friction [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: A force of 30.0 N is required to start a 4.4 kg box moving across a horizontal concrete floor. (a) What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor? (b) If the 30.0 N force continues, the box accelerates at 0.50 m/s2. What is the coefficient of...

Friction [ 5 Answers ]

A 200-N sled is pushed along a horizontal surface at constant speed with a 50-N force that makes an angle of 28 degrees below the horizontal. What is the coefficient of kinetic fricition?

Friction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guyz and girlz! What an amazing site it is! Believe it or not I was searchin for some sciecetific sites such as this Here is this In front of my eyez Well dears

View more questions Search