Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoOther Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 03:28 PM
    94 Regal fuel injection problem
    94 Buick Regal, 3.8. It will be the death of me I am sure. First off, I am an experienced, knowledgeable mechanic, been fixing cars for 30 years, so I will understand any input here. List of things I have replaced.. Cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, (fuel pressure is good), ignition module, engine ecm, MAF sensor, TPS sensor, Ignition switch, Fuel pressure regulator, 6 fuel injectors, all the coils, transmission selector switch, checked every fuse. I have come to the conclusion it is a fuel delivery problem. It will run when I keep squirting fuel into the air intake, so, obviously I have spark, and at the correct time. What it does is starts right up, will run for 2 seconds and die. Cycle the key, and it will start right up again, run for 2 seconds, and die. Like it is starting with the initial shot from the injectors, and not getting fuel beyond that. It does have the pass key system, but if I tape the key, it won't even turn over, so I suspect the pass key is functioning? At least the start disable is. Is there a secondary part to that system that controls the fuel system? My understanding with the pass key system is there is a module that recognizes the key, the first time it's inserted, and retains that information and can't be changed. I have the option here to get the complete pass key system off a car in the bone yard that has everything there, including the key. I could change the tumbler and the module as a pair, so it still recognizes that key. I also understand there is some sort of relay box associated with the pass key. I don't have a clue where these other components are located in that car, or I would have already changed it all. If anyone knows where they are located, I will go get everything off this car and switch it all out. That is all that is remaining the way I see it to affect the fuel injection. I'm out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!! E-mail me at [email protected]. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again, Rick
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2006, 10:22 AM
    You mentioned fuel pressure was good what was the reading?
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Some GM trucks and cars with as little as 5 pounds too little pressure will cause them not to start when cold. Sometimes too much fuel pressure can cause a similar problems with starting.
    NoOther Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Here's the update.. I have about 42# of fuel pressure. Spec is 37 - 45. If I unplug the Mass air flow sensor, it will start and continue to run. Not very well, obviously with it unplugged, but as soon as I plug it back in, It won't run. Does the same thing. I replaced the MAF sensor, twice, One came off a running car, mine wouldn't run. Put it back on the running car, and it worked. Even tested mine on that car, and it was good. I have battery voltage at the sensor, also I have ground, and the signal wire from the sensor to the computer is good. There has to be something that works in conjunction with that MAF sensor on mine that's bad, but what could it be?? This is the third computer, counting the original, and it also came off a running car. The mechanics of the engine are great, quiet, smooth, no noises when it runs reasonably. So, it's not lacking in compression or tired. I have replaced pretty much everything, INCLUDING the tail lamp bulb. I even went as far as totally replacing the pass-key system, since it was considered a suspect to all this. I'm still totally dumb-founded... any ideas?? Thanks, Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Fuel Injection Relay Honda Prelude 1988 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 which has refused to start. The mechanics at the Honda shop say it's the Fuel Injection Relay, BUT they don't know it's location, OR ID number. I know that sounds strange but it's true. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. PS: This is a right hand drive car as I...

Fuel $$$ [ 12 Answers ]

How much is a litre of gas where you are? Our prices are continually on the rise so I'm just curious as to what everyone else is paying.

1990 Honda Civic Duel Point Fuel Injection [ 6 Answers ]

Before I get into doing a leak down test and changing the head gasket our there other things that can be checked first. Main relay re-soldered The condition remained the same. Car starts every time revs 1500rpms or more. If I press the pedal in long strokes the engine will hesitate and die, but...

View more questions Search