Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    militia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Toilet flushing noises
    When we flush the cellar toilet, there is a long (20 sec. or so) rumbling sound. It sounds like it is coming from the pipes and can be heard through-out the house. If we run the sink in the bathroom at the same time as flushing, the noise doesn't happen. But, if we turn the sink faucet off too soon, the noise will occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 03:47 PM

Pipe slap
    Lift lid on toilet move up and down toilet fill valve arm and see how much change in sound
    Pipes loose a bit more clamps or pipes laying on another pipe.
    Slight water hammer.
    There's a unit to install in the water line to stop water hammer.
    militia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by militia View Post
    when we flush the cellar toilet, there is a long (20 sec. or so) rumbling sound. it sounds like it is coming from the pipes and can be heard through-out the house. if we run the sink in the bathroom at the same time as flushing, the noise doesn't happen. but, if we turn the sink faucet off too soon, the noise will occur. any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeff
    I put pressure on the valve fill arm as it was filling. The noise stopped when I pulled it toward the front of the toilet. If I let go, the noise would start. What should I do to fix it.

Jeff
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 05:50 PM

Most likely a bad fill vavle(ball cock). You can either repair or replace fill valve. I would suggest turning water off to toilet(stop located under left hand side of toilet) remove fill valve, take to the nearest hardware store, give them the old valve and tell them you want one that will replace it. Reinstall. Problem will most likely be solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet making noises [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our new home about 1 year ago. The house was built in the 60's. Im hearing strange noises coming from our 2 toilets. One is in the bathroom in our bedroom and the other is in our main bathroom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Toilet not flushing [ 9 Answers ]

I have read all the posts and tried to fix my toilet, however, it still won't flush. I have checked the little jet hole at the bottom (it's clear). I have cleared the jet holes at the rim with a coat hanger (again, clear). My water is not filling in the tank enough (about 1/2" below "water level...

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

Toilet making strange noises [ 5 Answers ]

Thought I would run this by you guys and hear your thoughts on what might be causing an issue we have with our toilet. Recently the fill valve on one of my toilets failed so I replaced it with a fludimaster. The toilet flushes fine but noticed that while flushing there is a strange gurgling sound...

View more questions Search