Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    POWER1000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Toro ccr2000 backfire
    1992 Toro ccr2000 snowthrower model # 38180 that backfires. When warmed up seems to run OK. Thought it was a fuel problem so I eliminated the fuel filter, it runs better but still backfires when cold.Please Help :)
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 08:55 PM

Hi,
    Backfires can often be related to fuel quality, especially when it goes away when warmed up.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 06:13 PM
    You should put your fuel filter back on and use a new filter. If you forget to do this you will have a lot more problems later than a backfire.
    Just on a side note about fuel and it directly relates to cribgy comment. First check manufractured specks on the highest octane the motor can have. What I'm about to say especially applies to 2 cycles
    I'm in construction and run a lot of power tools and equipment. GET GOOD HIGH OCTANE FUEL. Almost no body address it even at a repair shop. The homeowner treats there lawn mowers and weed whackers like a tight wad when it comes to top grade fuel. The damage a lower grade fuel can do is big. Just the small end of it.
    Hard to start a lot get mad flood out carb waste gas and time
    Spark Plug get dirty and fouled quicker, Need to plug(s)
    Valves get dirty quicker and bad seats in valves now.
    Actually use more fuel to get the same torque.
    Engine runs hotter because of torque loss and engine is worked harder.
    Now pistons rings are wearing more, less compression to start. Pull power is diminished.
    Life of machine is way less.
    Over choke to run and unburnt fuel is wasted and backfires.
    It amazes me that all the people at the pump will put mid or high grade gas in there vehicles and YUP here comes the gas can and right to the lowest octane. Now I think, man the weed eater or tractor will bun so little fuel in ratio cost to run it. The engine will only run so many weeks a year to cut grass not to mention shorter time on a weed eater or snowblower. Does this really make sense!
    Sorry Power1000 I needer to get it out and maybe this would help you too

Signed 21 boat

If I helped to answer your Question Please Rate my Answer
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 06:55 PM

Hi,
    Interesting points, and many I make professionally. I have over 40 years working on engines and a bit less on small engines. I always recommend mid-grade fuel. The base level fuel contains 90 days forth of stabilizer added, whereas, the mid-grade and high test contain 6 months of stabilizer. Easy choice as far as I am concerned.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 07:34 PM

Sorry crigby I wasn't going to add to your post it was a very good point. Ive been reading some of your post and its easy to tell you are a professional and expert at what you do. I'm new on joining this site and as I been reading on things on small engines that are tuff to start or pop and backfire and always think GOOD OCTANE FUEL is like a solid foundation for a house. Any how Happy New Year. You to Power1000
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 09:02 PM

It sounds like a dirty carb. As the engine warms up the fuel valve doesn't stick anymore.

Possible cause: Low octane fuel without a stabilizer such as Sta-bil when stored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backfire on tecumshe 10 hp engine [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 hp tecumshe engine on a generator I use when things like katrina start happening. Anyway I put it up for 2 years whth stabalizer in the gas and ran it once in that time. The last time I started it it was gummed up. I removed the carb. And rebuilt it but it backfires & pants, it does...

Replace starter cord toro snowblower ccr2000 [ 2 Answers ]

Some people are still fixing lawnmowers, God bless you ! I just got my snowblower out, got it started, ran pretty well (it's up and down, which makes me think that some engine components are getting wet, but that's another story. After dying in a huge drift, the starter cord broke, deep, deep...

How much oil does my Toro 6.5 hp GTS mower need? [ 1 Answers ]

I like someone else put oil in my mower, sounds like I put too much in as well. I can probably drain the oil to put new in though, how much should it take? Thanks!

Carburetor backfire [ 3 Answers ]

17hp Kohler backfiring through the carb. Water was in the gas but now O.K.

View more questions Search