Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Moles or warts
    OK I have a ? When I was born I was born with moles and in the last couple months I got these things on my neck that are like warts but I don't know if it is that or a different kind of mole I got a total of 5 of them in like 4 months and they just keep coming but won't go away how do I know what they aare because if they warts I want to get wart removeal but if I do that and they ended up to be moles what could happen to me? They are the same color as my skin and they kind hang they rest of my moles are brown and do not hang what could this be? :confused:
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 21, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Skin Tags, Causes And Appearance
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"skin tags"
    The appearance of skin tags is not in itself a health concern but there may well be a medical reason behind their appearance. Skin tags develop in both men and women as they grow older and they tend to be more numerous in obese persons as well as in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

These skin tags tend to form along the neckline, under the arms, beneath the breasts, on and above the eyelids and even in the groin area. But the most common place is the armpit. If there is one skin tag, then are often many others. They are usually small fleshy-colored growths on a small stalk that protrude from the skin. When they are in awkward places, such as the neck, clothes can rub on them, jewelry can get caught on them and they can even be shaved in error. They can even get in the way during a hair cut. They can be a problem for women when occurring in the armpit making it difficult to shave around them without catching on them or cutting them. When damaged in error, they can become inflamed and sore and may even bleed if rubbed hard because they have a blood supply.

Mostly, we dislike having these skin tags because they affect our appearance and make us self conscious. They can be very unsightly particularly when on the face. A healing natural product can be used to treat skin tags and make us feel better about ourselves.

Although it is not yet established exactly what causes skin tags, the following factors seem to play a role:

-- High levels of growth - particularly during pregnancy (where the hormones are affected) or in cases of acrogmegaly (known as gigantism).

-- Insulan resistance caused by diabetes.

-- The wart virus (human papilloma virus). Although this virus does not cause skin tags, it can be a contributing factor.

-- Body builders and other athletes who use illegal steroids can actually cause the skin tags through the pills or drugs they are ingesting. Taking steroids interferes with the body and muscles, which in turn can affect the skin causing the collagen fibers to bond in such a way that skin tags are formed.

The skin tag is a tumor in the sense that it is a growth. However, you can take comfort in the fact that it is a benign non-cancerous raised skin tumor. Benign means that it is harmless and not malignant. But if you are not confident that what you see are skin tags, then it is wise to have them checked out by your doctor for your own peace of mind.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Dec 22, 2008, 05:58 PM

What can u use to get rid of them?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 11:09 AM

Stormy, I wish I could give you an accurate diagnosis, but I can't, I don't think anyone can.

It's best to get this checked out. If they are warts they may have to be removed by a doctor. In my experience, over the counter wart removers don't work, they're a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

Time to go to the doctor, better safe than sorry. :)

Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen1218 View Post
    Skin Tags, Causes And Appearance
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"skin tags"
    The appearance of skin tags is not in itself a health concern but there may well be a medical reason behind their appearance. Skin tags develop in both men and women as they grow older and they tend to be more numerous in obese persons as well as in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

These skin tags tend to form along the neckline, under the arms, beneath the breasts, on and above the eyelids and even in the groin area. But the most common place is the armpit. If there is one skin tag, then are often many others. They are usually small fleshy-colored growths on a small stalk that protrude from the skin. When they are in awkward places, such as the neck, clothes can rub on them, jewelry can get caught on them and they can even be shaved in error. They can even get in the way during a hair cut. They can be a problem for women when occurring in the armpit making it difficult to shave around them without catching on them or cutting them. When damaged in error, they can become inflamed and sore and may even bleed if rubbed hard because they have a blood supply.

Mostly, we dislike having these skin tags because they affect our appearance and make us self conscious. They can be very unsightly particularly when on the face. A healing natural product can be used to treat skin tags and make us feel better about ourselves.

Although it is not yet established exactly what causes skin tags, the following factors seem to play a role:

-- High levels of growth - particularly during pregnancy (where the hormones are affected) or in cases of acrogmegaly (known as gigantism).

-- Insulan resistance caused by diabetes.

-- The wart virus (human papilloma virus). Although this virus does not cause skin tags, it can be a contributing factor.

-- Body builders and other athletes who use illegal steroids can actually cause the skin tags through the pills or drugs they are ingesting. Taking steroids interferes with the body and muscles, which in turn can affect the skin causing the collagen fibers to bond in such a way that skin tags are formed.

The skin tag is a tumor in the sense that it is a growth. However, you can take comfort in the fact that it is a benign non-cancerous raised skin tumor. Benign means that it is harmless and not malignant. But if you are not confident that what you see are skin tags, then it is wise to have them checked out by your doctor for your own peace of mind.

When you quote another site on the Internet, something written by another person, please quote the source. In this case the source is: Skin Tags, Causes And Appearance.

Citing the source is right in the rules: Ask Me Help Desk - FAQ
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:15 PM

Skin tags are nothing to be worried about. I've had them off and on for years with no ill effects. I have no idea what causes mine as I never really bothered to find out. My mom had some as well. You usually get skin tags when you are over 40.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need info about warts! [ 7 Answers ]

Helloo, I Have a couple questions about warts. First let me specify that I am not speaking about genital warts. I am having a problem with warts. I used to have just one on my ankle, over the years it has grown but recently seems to have stoped growing. Then I started to get them on my toes. On...

Getting rid of warts [ 11 Answers ]

I have a wart on my right palm I'm currently getting rid of. I don't know what kind of wart it is. At the moment I'm using the acid and then sticking a plaster over it to kill it off methods. Just wanted to know anyone's advice or opinions on getting rid of warts and how long it takes, etc. ...

About Warts [ 4 Answers ]

I was viewing the thread about warts and such and had a question of my own (sorry, I didn't want to commit the thread stealing crime :p). Are all warts caused by HPV? Or just genital warts? I have never in my life had a genital wart, but I have had a Plantar's wart on my pinky toe. Does that...

Genital warts [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to get genital warts without having sexual intercourse ?

Bumps:Warts: HPV? Not an STD? [ 3 Answers ]

All right, so this may take a bit of explaining to bear with me... I recently got tested for the whole gamut of STD's, got my HPV vaccine, and am generally a champion of healthy sex, and personal care. I know all about HPV, and I am aware of what a genital wart looks like. A day and a half...

View more questions Search