Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gusk123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Hot water heater relief popping
    My problem is the relieg keeps on popping even when I shut down the hot water heater could it be a pressure problem since the water is cold? If so should I install a pressure reducing valve and if so what kind. Please provide any other suggestions thankks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 09:17 PM

It shouldn't do that.Sometimes they go bad or when it poped the first time it get dirt in the valve and its doesn't want to shut off Re purge it (flip) a couple of times Also look at the pressure gage of your water supply and see what it is. The pressure relief valve on top of the hot water heater should have a little brass plate to show what its rated or in pressure. They are easy to replace if you have to its just a new valve and some Teflon tape. Keep in mind the drip leg which comes off the pressure relief valve should be to the bottom or past the bottom of the tank for safety for you and the tank. Either way I would not trust it. New is good
    Hope this helped Happy Holiday

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve [ 1 Answers ]

Private Message: Water heater pressure relief valve Today, 06:15 PM Kenvirani New Member Join Date: May 2008 Posts: 0 Water heater pressure relief valve --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Hot Water Heater pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

On my water heater, I have the Pressure Relief Valve on top. There is also a (plugged) PRV outlet on the side of the heater. Can I move my valve to the side outlet? Is there a reason that it may have been installed at the top as opposed to the side? Thanks

Water Heater Pressure Relief [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater pressure relief valve is pouring water out of the valve. Do I have a problem with the tank or do I need to turn the temperature down on the heater. More background information: We went on vacation and turned off the water heater and the water to the house. When we returned, we...

View more questions Search