Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NBH123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Cauterization to stop nosebleeds?
    I'm a fiften year old female, and I get nosebleeds frequently. It started about three summers ago, where I had a bad nosebleed that lasted 30 minutes, with blood that dropped with my heartbeat. Ever since then I've used simply saline, it helps keep my nose moist but I still get frequent nosebleeds, sometimes severe, other times not. Yesturday night, I was blowing my nose GENTLY and I got a nosebleed, it stopped after 5 minutes, but it happened again today. I'm thinking of cauterization. Does this help? And is it painful? Give me all the details possible, thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 03:51 PM

Vinod K. Anand, MD, FACS
    Cauterization of Nosebleeds
    WHAT IS CAUTERIZATION FOR NOSE BLEED?
    This is a procedure to stop persistent bleeding from a small vein or artery, usually in the front of the nose. An electrocautery needle or silvernitrate (a caustic agent), when applied to the bleeding point, burns the tissue slightly to seal the blood vessel. Cauterization take only a few
    Minutes and is performed in the doctor's office or outpatient department under local anesthesia.
    An uncooperative child may be admitted to the same day surgery facility for cauterization ifsedation or a general anesthetic is required.WHY IS IT PERFORMED?
    The nose is endowed with a rich blood supply. This help to warm and humidify inhaled air on its way to the lungs. Children and young adults in particular are prone to spontaneous nose bleeds (epistaxis), most commonly from a single vein in the septum (partition wall) in the front of
    The nostril. At examination, an engorged vein is often visible. Nose bleeds result from infection,
    Drying of the nose lining, trauma -- especially nose picking. Blowing and sneezing because of a cold or allergic reaction, heavy coughing, and even vigorous exercise can cause epistaxis. If bleeding persists, cauterization may be required.
    THE PROCEDURE
    There is no special preparation for cauterization. The doctor examines each nostril with the light from a head mirror and a speculum, to look for the bleeding point and any other possible causes of bleeding. Blood may be taken to test for anemia or any clotting disorder. A roll of
    Cotton impregnated with a local anesthetic agent is packed into the nostril. When the anesthetic has taken effect, the cotton roll is removed. The tissues surrounding the bleeding point, and then the vessel itself, are lightly touched with the silver nitrate stick or electrocautery needle. After a
    Few minutes, you will be able to go home. No further treatment is necessary, but you must avoid any disturbance of the cauterized vein for about a week. You must not blow your nose, and, if you have to sneeze, try to keep your mouth open. Avoid strenuous work or heavy lifting; do not take aspirin or alcohol and do not smoke. You may be given lubricating nose drops to use while the nasal tissues heal. It may help to use a vaporizer at night until the feeling of congestion passes.
    POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS
    There may be slight seepage or spot bleeding at first, but this should stop. If bleeding recurs, the vein will be recauterized after the tissues have healed.
    1993. American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. This leaflet is published as a public
    Service. The material may be freely used so long as attribution is given to the American Academy of Otolaryngology-
    Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Alexandria, VA.
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 18, 2008, 03:59 PM

Cauterization is done with a local anaesthetic and blood vessels are heat sealed by heat fusion. The degree of discomfort and unpleasantness is probably somewhat similar to drilling and filling by a dentist.

Before you resort to cauterization perhaps you might like to try and strengthen your blood vessels with citrus bioflavonoids that will strengthen your capillary walls. Citrus fruit such as oranges and mandarins are rich in citrus bioflavonoids or you could get a citrus bioflavonoid supplement. The combination of vitamin E and selenium also strengthens your blood vessels by strengthening the capillary walls of your blood vessels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I really need to stop [ 2 Answers ]

Heloo guys :) hope you are all OK Ummm OK here is the thing! Till now am considered thin! But ifeel lately that I have gained weight! And I really want to save myself Before it'z too late! And the problem is I don't know why I'm just eating and never feel Full :(

Storms and nosebleeds [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a headache for almost a week now and at work today I got a bloody nose. I'm wondering what it could be. I always get headaches and stiff joints when a storm is coming, so that's what I thought the headache was, but the weather has been awesome for the past few days, and now that I got...

How do I stop this [ 2 Answers ]

My mother owed the social security admin in 1999 for something I was unaware of . I lived on an off with her from age 14 and when I filed my taxes in 2000 ssa took them and have been taking them ever since they never informed me of why how much they want or how much I've paid since the start this...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

Is there anything I can do to stop this? [ 3 Answers ]

The county sherrif's office issued a "writ of execution" just yesterday afternoon. It apparently was a default judgement entered in against me. They came to my current residence and I let them in and they proceeded to take an active inventory on what they believed to be my personal property for a...

View more questions Search