Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetBeth Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Is this appropriate to wear? What is the brides deal?
    Going to a wedding this month, my little girl is in it and my boyfriend is in it. The wedding colors are ivory and brown. I've never been to a winter wedding, but I bought this really cute black sweater dress to wear.It has a turtle neck and comes down to my knee and is form fitting I plan on dressing it up with jewelry and the perfect shoes.However the bride has asked me numorous times if I still plan on wearing te sweater dress, what is the big deal,I'm not in the wedding, why should she even worry about it. Should I not wear this to the wedding?? Here are some details, wedding is in a small church,at 4 p.m and reception to follow at the holiday inn.So is it really a big deal if I wear this? Help me decide if I need to buy a new dress.(I love my black sweater dress)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 09:20 PM

Traditionally black is taboo for weddings because it is the color for funerals but all the weddings I have been to in the past 15 years there have been at least 5 women wearing black and even black pantsuits. She may be disappointed to find other women attending her wedding wearing black. It may be best to honor her wishes though since you know she is not thrilled with the idea.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 18, 2008, 06:38 AM

I think black is elegant, and formal attire for the evening, and very appropriate for a wedding. If it is dressed up with some classy jewellery, and maybe a loose gold or silver belt and some bangles. As long as it's not plain funeral black, I can't see what the problem would be at all! Everyone has that plain black dress. It is a staple, and can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.

I don't understand brides these days, when they figure they can dictate even what their guests wear to the wedding!

I would wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Your boyfriends daughter is in the wedding party, you're not.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:42 AM

It's her day - just humor her. What is the point of upsetting her? I agree that you are perfectly fine and black is very appropriate, but if it upsets the bride, is it really appropriate?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    It's her day - just humor her. What is the point of upsetting her? I agree that you are perfectly fine and black is very appropriate, but if it upsets the bride, is it really appropriate?
    Sorry Steve ;) I just don't get it! Why should the OP have to go out and buy a new dress because the bride is being pouty? With the economy the way it is, some people just can't afford to go out and buy a new dress, just because the bride doesn't like the color of one of her guests dresses. What's next? Maybe the bride doesn't like purple... or green? I think it's unreasonable (unless she herself is in the bridal party) of a bride to tell her guests what they can and cannot wear. If the bride is focusing on what her guests are wearing, there is something really wrong with that picture, and maybe she could be focusing her energy on other more important things.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Sorry Steve ;) I just don't get it! Why should the OP have to go out and buy a new dress because the bride is being pouty? With the economy the way it is, some people just can't afford to go out and buy a new dress, just because the bride doesn't like the color of one of her guests dresses. What's next? Maybe the bride doesn't like purple...or green? I think it's unreasonable (unless she herself is in the bridal party) of a bride to tell her guests what they can and cannot wear. If the bride is focusing on what her guests are wearing, there is something really wrong with that picture, and maybe she could be focusing her energy on other more important things.
    Im not disagreeing with you even a little that the bride is unreasonable. But my point is that the OP should pick her battles and IMO, this isn't one that needs fighting. She isn't wrong at all about wanting to wear her black dress, but in the interest of harmony in a stressful time in the bride's life, why not just concede and accept that she is a little on the crazy side?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 18, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Im not disagreeing with you even a little that the bride is unreasonable. But my point is that the OP should pick her battles and IMO, this isnt one that needs fighting. She isnt wrong at all about wanting to wear her black dress, but in the interest of harmony in a stressful time in the bride's life, why not just concede and accept that she is a little on the crazy side?
    True enough. I was a wedding planner for many yrs. and saw lots of unreasonable brides. Maybe I'm a little biased. It just drives me nuts when brides think that just because it's "their day" all reasoning and politeness goes out the window. I've seen the "Brides from Hell", and it's mind boggling to watch them turn into Bridezilla's, and just get unreasonable about the smallest detail. I guess I'll just say that if it digs into the guests budget, and she doesn't have another dress in her closet... go with the black, dress it up with color, and she'll get over it! ;)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Everyone is assuming that the problem is the color of the dress, but the OP quotes the bride as calling it a "sweater dress" not a "black dress". Perhaps she has the image of the 80s sweater dress in her head and thinks it won't be dressy enough.

SweetBeth... has your friend seen the dress? Ask her to come over and try it on for her with shoes and jewelry.

I agree that in most cases, the bride should not have a say in your outfit. However she is obviously a very close friend if both your daughter and your boyfriend are in the wedding party. So, I think you should get to the bottom of what the problem actually is before you make a decision.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 11:20 AM

That is a good idea get the dress, accessories and all together and ask her to come over and help you with making it acceptable or helping you with an alternative idea.
    She may feel the style is out or not dressy enough.

I wouldn't just show up at the wedding in the dress though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating online [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently started to correspond with a Russian lady. The more I think about it the more apprehensive I get. After the physical appearance (I have to fancy someone in the first place), I am trying to consider the personal compatibility (psychological, emotional, type traits). I...

Brides father girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I have been invited to a wedding. The father of the bride is my serious longtime boyfriend. The brides parents have beed divorced for over twenty years. The brides mother, and bride and I are friends. FOB wants me to sit with him at wedding. What should the seating arrangements be at ceremony....

Brides Mate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm in a wedding on Friday as part of the wedding party. I'm very good friends with both the Bride & Groom. The Groom is having his brother as Best Man and I've been asked to stand with the Bride as the Brides "Mate" she informed me the other night that the technical name for my roll is...

Pregnant Brides Maid [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have an April 5, 2007 wedding planned. We asked his sister if she would be a bride's maid in the wedding and she said yes. Just this past weekend she informed us that she is pregnant. They were not trying, it just happened (which was a total shock to them since they needed help with...

Hang in there brides to be! [ 5 Answers ]

I have been engaged for about 8months and lately everyone is asking when the big day is? And will it be in a garden? And how many people I will be inviting?! I feel I want to scream! I wish someone could understand that a wedding costs a lot of money, and that wed love to settle and be...

View more questions Search