Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mooch52104 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Certificate of occupancy
    Hi! New here and I have a question.

We have just renovated our home in Queens, NY and changed it from a one family to a 2 family home. We are still waiting to get the C of O so that we can refinance. Some friends of our need a place to stay for a couple of months and we were wondering if we could let them stay in our new upstairs apartment without paying any rent. Is this legal? Can we still pursue and obtain our C of O during this time?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:17 PM
    If a CO hasn't been issued then technically the space is not considered living space and it's not legal for someone to live there. Whether you decide to let someone live there is up to you, but just be aware that you could be subject to fines if the City finds out. Also keep in mind that the inspector will have to come in to inspect when you apply for the CO. If they find people living there it could be a problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:51 PM

No one can live there until you get it approved and a C/O.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a certificate of occupancy? [ 4 Answers ]

What is a certificate of occupancy?

Occupancy rules [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I also have a similar problem. Currently I am staying in 1 bedroom appt in PA. I am in a 1 yr lease that will get over in Nov. We will be having a baby soon. My question is, in this case, since we will be 3 people in the 1 Bedroom, can we continue to say till we complete the lease...

Occupancy per unit [ 1 Answers ]

What Does The Florida Law Say About How Many Occupants Per Unit.

Certificate of Occupancy requirement - Washington, DC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the implications of a landlord not having a certificate of occupancy for a basement apartment. I currently live in one in Washington, DC, and my landlord is being very difficult about letting me out of my lease. I bought a house and have tried to work with her...

How can I view a Certificate of Occupancy [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get or at least view a certificate of occupancy for a property that I do not own? If so where would I get it. If I were interested in buying a property wouldn't it make sense to view the COO to verify the property uses? Any other information that may be useful?? :confused: Thank you!

View more questions Search