Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ironsheik7 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Gving up things for the lord
    I had a moment earlier and was listening to a song online on a website and was about god . It made my eyes water a bit . I had been holding back from the lord and sticking hard to my material possessions . After listening to what this song was saying it hit me hard. And I took all 150 or so of my coveted cd collection and dumped them all in the trash.

And to tell the truth I never felt so free in my life. It was as a heavy burden had been lifted off my chest. I felt like I could have done cart wheels down the hall... I felt closer to the lord in my heart,,

My question is did any one else out there have to give up things that they had grown quite fond of in there life. Whether it be cds, beer, movies, gambling etc...

And how did you feel after words as well
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 16, 2008, 12:47 PM

Where do you live... 150 cds?? I'll take them!
    At the very least.. don't be wasteful. Trade them in for cash etc... You worked hard for the money to buy those didn't you? Why should you feel bad for owning stuff?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I'm not christian and I'm not materialistic in the least. I guess it really depends how how you were raised as a child. I value my kids, my wife, my family, playing sports, going places, etc. much more than a big screen TV or an expensive car (I have neither).
    ironsheik7 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2008, 12:51 PM

Pardon me am I in the christian post. I may have posted in the wrong area I'm not for certain??

Im new to this and seem to get lost on here quite often
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2008, 12:55 PM

God Bless you!! It has never seemed I HAD to give anything up for the Lord. The Holy Spirit will lead you and guide you as you grow deeper with God. God changes your heart and the world things or processions you have and dearly loved will be replaced with the great and wonderful things of God. Don't worry about what you SHOULD throw he'll continually to impress that on as He did with your CD's. Yes, I've given up a lot of the things I use to do.. but, I'd whether have Jesus then any thing that the world can give.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Moved to Religious Discussions as this is really the best place for this discourse.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Dec 16, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Hello ironsheik7 (once again : why that "7"?? )

Giving up things for the lord?. i took all 150 or so of my coveted cd collection and dumped them all in the trash.
    Well, if you are happy doing that, I will be the last one to suggest you should do otherwise.

But if you are serious just be consequent : dump all these western society items that have no real life-spiritual value. So dump the television, hifi set, VCR, CD, and DVD drive. Dump the computer, and all other non-essential possessions, including the car, motorbike, snowbike, rollerskates, etc. : from now on only use public transport.
    Start living as one of the first Christians : than you show that you really meant what you posted as topic starter.

You can also change your job : whatever you are, find a job that has intrinsic social value , like a nurse or a social worker. Be there not just for yourself and your own interest, but be there for others !

I wonder though what is your reasoning to "give up things for the lord".
    Do you think he asks for that? And if so, why don't you go all the way, as I suggested above ?

:)

Dec 16, 2008, 04:06 PM

Credendovidis , Actually, you are correct in what you told ironsheik7 unbeknown to you( I think) is exactly what the Lord would have us do.. that is to make Him Lord of our lives!
    -

Dec 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen1218 View Post
    Credendovidis , Actually, you are correct in what you told ironsheik7 unbeknown to you( I think) is exactly what the Lord would have us do ..that is to make Him Lord of our lives!
    Do you think I joked? No I did not. I just picked at a phony "hallelujah" balloon here.
    Fact is that living a more simple life (that often is more dedicated to others just requires a serious set of social values and willingness to give up on the western feelings of greed (the "Me, Myself, and I" syndrome)

I know. I did. And I did not even need "the lord" in my life as inspiration...

Please note that I disagree with your... " to make Him Lord of our lives" !
    I am a Secular Humanist.

Dec 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Wow... I feel like I've been "told off"... I wasn't being sarcastic to you or mean. I was only discussing!!
    -

Dec 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen1218
    Wow...I feel like I've been "told off"...I wasn't being sarcastic to you or mean. I was only discussing !!!
    No I did not "tell you off". Neither was I sarcastic to you ! I just posted my views.

Sometimes I get the impression that many, many christians have extra long toes.
    Why that sensitivity when someone has similar views on society, but disagrees on the religious views?
    It is almost as if you think that one needs to be christian to feel uncomfortable with the greed syndrom of the average western citizen...

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 02:01 PM

Jesus said to the rich man 'You need one thing,' he said. 'Go and sell all your possessions. Give the money to poor people. Then you will have real wealth, in heaven. Then come! Follow me!'
    Jesus told the rich man this because he was *attached* to his material possessions. We can have whatever but is it holding us back? Is it something (as Eileen said) the Holy Spirit is telling us to give up?
    I have a house full of stuff and I know that it holds me back. I am in the process of selling and giving most all of it away.
    You are what you can't let go of.

Also watch people, l agree with Cred here, the western world runs around accumulating useless stuff when they could be helping others. We do not use our time wisely, with running to Wal Mart to buy the latest blow up holiday yard decorations that we end up either throwing away or stuffing into the cluttered garage until next year.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    ...the western world runs around accumulating useless stuff when they could be helping others.
    This is so true.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:50 PM

Yea but when you get to heaven, Jimi and Morrison are going to come up to you and ask you why you threw their music in the trash man. You'll be getting off on the wrong foot dude. Plus, you probably won't be getting free tickets to the concerts they have up there. I hear they are the best.
    Elvis on the harp singing Love Me Tender. Whoa!
    Keith Moon not too stoned. It's awesome.
    -

Dec 17, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Elvis on the harp singing Love Me Tender.
    However nice that song may be, hearing it into all eternity sounds like HELL to me!!

Funny thought : Elvis singing endlessly, in a topic about giving things up...

:D :rolleyes: :) :p :rolleyes: :D

cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Dec 24, 2008, 05:09 PM

I would think god would say to you...
    Silly Silly Silly. What you did was just pure wasteful. If you feel you need to sacrifice something for me, how about your time. Many opportunities there. Or sell your cds on eBay and donate the money to a good cause. I hate to see good property destroyed and that is just what you did.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 25, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Ironsheik,

I feel missionary work would be right up your alley.

Some people buy CD's to bring them happiness in the form of music, if trashing them brings you an equal amount of happiness if not more, then I'd say they served their purpose either way.

When we ask ourself what would Jesus do, I can say it would be no where close to what the modern Christian does. Those of you who claim we spend too much time at walmart are correct. Christmas has turned into the center piece of our materialistic world.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 25, 2008, 05:10 PM

Personally, as greedy as the entertainment industry has gotten, I'm with you! Although I'm not trashing my CD's, I just haven't purchased any new ones for quite some time.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Do you think I joked? No I did not. I just picked at a phony "hallelujah" balloon here.
    Fact is that living a more simple life (that often is more dedicated to others just requires a serious set of social values and willingness to give up on the western feelings of greed (the "Me, Myself, and I" syndrome)

I know. I did. And I did not even need "the lord" in my life as inspiration ...

Please note that I disagree with your ... " to make Him Lord of our lives" !
    I am a Secular Humanist

Obviously, you have not given up the "western" comfort of computer and internet access :p Just like a greedy westerner ;)

g&p
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Obviously, you have not given up the "western" comfort of computer and internet access :p Just like a greedy westerner ;)

g&p
    You equate internet access to the rest of the world to the same western excesses such as 52" plasma TVs, huge houses, big SUVs, etc?

Nk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who are the evil ones who say Lord, Lord? [ 614 Answers ]

Matthew 7:The true disciple 21. `It is not anyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' who will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22. When the day comes many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your...

Mother of my Lord [ 139 Answers ]

When St. Elizabeth greets Mary the Mother of Jesus, she says: Luke 1 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? I believe she is recognizing that Jesus is God and therefore means Mother of my God. What do you think she means?

View more questions Search