Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charl89 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Starter for Christmas dinner
    I need an idea for a starter for a Boxing/Christmas day dinner. I am doing the whole turkey thing, but haven't got a clue what to do for starters.

I can't use anything with fish or prawns, cheese, egg or pork.

I thought of duck or something but don't know what to do with it, please help as its my first xmas with my partner in our place and I am feeding his best mate and mum!

Thanks
    And merry christmas:D
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2008, 12:33 PM

Just have the turkey for the meat. Are you going to make stuffing. Make some mashed potatoes and gravy . Have some cranberry sauce and perhaps some yams either candied or cook in a microwave and put some butter, sugar and Cinnamon on the table so the guests can put on the yams. I usually have a green bean casserole. You can have the drink that is perferred... and bread and butter. You can write back to me with questions if you want and I'll try to help you as much as you need. :-)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 12:36 PM

In the U.S. we call "starters" appetizers. (At least that's what I figured out from Googling.)

I would offer starters about an hour before dinner with the appropriate drinks, but not be so generous that my guests end up being too full to eat my dinner.

I would make parmesan cheese toasts (all sorts of ways to do this--my way is to mix grated parmesan with grated sweet onion and mayonnaise to make a spread that I put on small rye slices and then broil until nicely browned) and a dill dip (mayo, sour cream, dill) for several kinds of sliced vegetables such as green peppers, carrots, and broccoli.

***ADDED -- Or mash up green olives (or some other tasty food) with cream cheese thinned with milk and serve on crackers. You want to make this as easy as possible (dips and mixtures made the night before), since you will be finishing last minute stuff in the kitchen too. (I know you said "no cheese" but am hoping cream cheese as a base would be acceptable.)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Put out something that can be made ahead of time and will require little attention... like a fresh vegetable platter, or bruschetta. Anything hot will take your time away from your guests and preparing the meal.

Merry Christmas!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Hey WG, the food with drinks are known as Canapes and tend to be small nibbles, as you described.
    A starter would be something light, like a soup for example, before the main course.
    It's intended to get the juices going for the main event.

Now Charlie, I'm not sure which part of the UK you are in, but Waitrose (an excellent Supermarket for the Americans) does some awesome starters.

How about something based on smoked salmon.
    I know you said no fish, but...
    Nice and light and tasty too.

Certainly worth a look see.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Sorry, I also thought starters would be appetizers. If you mean a first course, than how about butternut squash soup? I have a great, easy recipe. If you are interested, I will post it when I get home.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Oh the joys of the English language.

Don't worry I had the same problem watching Hells Kitchen USA with their descriptions of the various courses and preparations.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:01 PM

I know you want appetizers or whatever but here are some other ideas and recipes too also the injection stuff for poultry is great as long as it doesn't contain message or anchovies.
    I love putting cajun seasoning and garlic powder on poultry skin.
    -I use to hate stuffing but I made it once and I loved the way I made it. I use potato bread and sour dough bread, celery, onion, sage, pepper and a pinch of garlic. Getting the moistness just right is the real trick.
    -Gravy I use the poultry broth and thicken with Wondra or cream starch and add gravy packets or jars such as Heinz (cause I can never get enough gravy)
    -Mashed potatoes I like using half and half and sour cream, butter, salt, parsley and a pinch of garlic.
    -homemade fruit sauce I take a bag of apples, some pears, peaches or any fruit I want to add and peel and simmer with the lid on adding a little water and stirring if and when necessary along with sugar and cinnamon.

Here are some recipes for appetizers, casseroles and desserts, etc...

French onion soup

http://www.cookography.com/2008/the-...nion-soup-ever

Cooks Recipes | Baked Brie with Roasted Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe

Grilled portobella mushrooms

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 3 portobello mushrooms
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 3 tablespoons chopped onion
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    * 4 tablespoons white wine

DIRECTIONS

1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
    2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
    3. Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Green Bean Casserole Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Cookies:
    Cooks.com - Recipe - Gingerbread House, Men, Or Cookies

Mexican Wedding Cakes Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com

Lemon Bars Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com

Millionaire's Shortbread Bars Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com

Fruit beverages

Christmas Time Champagne Reception Punch

Wassail Recipes like Hot English Wassail or Christmas Wassail Recipes

* 7 oz hot tea or apple cider
    * 1 Tbsp honey
    * 1 tsp lemon juice
    * grated cinnamon
    * ground cloves
    * grated nutmeg
    * lemon wedge for garnish

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic - Starter - Can you show me the location of the starter? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having starting problems with my 2001 Honda Civic EX 4DR. This is the first problem with the car and I can't find the starter. Can you help?

Eat dinner [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have a right to eat dinner by myself I am 11 years old my mom always wants me to eat with her what should I do

Going to be at the same dinner out with ex! [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all, well have not been on here for a while have not really felt like I needed to. But last week had a bit of a drama I had an email from my ex saying how much he misses me like crazy and how he sometimes thinks about us talking our problems through and being happy again.. then sent another...

Floresent dinner [ 2 Answers ]

I have three futures in my kitchen . They have 2, 30 watt bulbs in them my wife says They are to bright, and wants a dimmer on them . Question. Can I but a dimmer switch on them ,and where can I get one? They are fluorescent bulbs

Your Top Christmas Carols & Christmas Songs [ 38 Answers ]

Ok it's that time of year when the holidays are around :) and I was just thinking what are people's top Carols or Chritmas songs that they like? Christmas songs for me would be The Pogues, Fairytale of New York ;) and my Christmas Carol would have to be Joy To The World :) ! Please feel...

View more questions Search