Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skrneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Freezing temps outside - no cold water inside
    Hello!
    It's been a day of record low temperatures and I just came home to no cold water coming out of either of my bathroom faucets. I have a bi-level home with one bathroom upstairs and one down - the kitchen is upstairs and cold water does come out of that sink. I am assuming I have frozen pipes - what do I do? How can I prevent flooding when the pipes thaw? I have no plumbing knowledge or experience.
    Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 10:51 PM

Can you put a heater in the room directing it at the pipes and slowly thaw the pipes? I have never had any problem with flooding from thawing pipes but they can possibly break and flood if left frozen.
    I keep a heater facing my pipes to keep them from freezing when it gets really cold.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 03:40 AM

There are many preventive measures you could take to prevent water from freezing in your pipes. One of the simplest is: When it gets really cold, you should open one faucet and let it drip. This way, water will constantly move around and won't freeze up completely inside pipes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool refrigerator dripping water & freezing inside [ 9 Answers ]

Whirlpool Model ET22DKXFW00 drips water into refrigerator compartment, where it freezes (mostly) on the shelves and aggravates my wife. Following advice from applguy in thread 25243, I've cleaned up the ice in the freezer compartment, and found the drain plugged with ice. Applguy said "If ... the...

Water in shower extreme temps [ 1 Answers ]

We had just replaced our well pump. A lot in my eyes wasn't taken care of like not replacing filters. We had so much dirt coming in the house at one point it broke the toilet, Which still doesn't flush right. Broke the washer, which we replaced. We were told the well needes to settle for a few days...

Use of "rig" in freezing temps [ 1 Answers ]

I will be visiting my brother in MA for a couple of months during the winder and would like to stay in my "rig". This will be my first winter using my new RV. I have it fully equipped, but what do I need to do to ensure the plumbing continues to function in freezing temperatures?

Reason heater may shut off in cold temps [ 4 Answers ]

In early December while we were on vacation our heater shut off and subsequently pipes froze causing water damage. What are some reasons the furnace would stop working?

View more questions Search