Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jiwonstr Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
    No-Load Fund and Where is best place?
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to start investing in no-load mutual fund because of low fee. I recently opened up with Vanguard Roth IRA and invested in their STAR fund.

Does Vanguard have no-load funds available? If not, where would be the best place to open up an account for no-load funds?

I'll eventually invest in stocks later too, so if possible, I'd like to keep my account under one name (vanguard).

Thanks
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Dec 19, 2008, 07:32 AM

The STAR fund is a no load fund. Purchase Fee = 0, Redemption Fee = 0. Vnaguard has a lot of no load funds. All this information is available on their web site
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 03:34 PM
    I would recommend the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund. This fund provides broad exposure to the entire US stock market - big, medium, and small companies. And it is a no load fund with very low annual maintenance fees - 80% or so less than the average actively managed fund. This is the only fund I own outside of my 401k. You can find enrollment information on the Vanguard website.

Vanguard isn't a brokerage company, so you can't buy and sell individual stocks through them. You can, however, buy mutual funds through brokerage firms like E-Trade, but you will pay a fee for the convenience of having everything "under on roof." My recommendation would be to have a Vanguard account and a brokerage account. Maintaining two accounts isn't much more trouble than one and it will save you money over the long-term.

Finally, I would suggest that the vast majority of your wealth be in mutual funds and a much smaller portion be in individual stocks. I know I'm not Warren Buffett. I am a mere human who, left to his own devices, typically buys high and sells low. So I allow myself to invest 10 percent of my wealth in individual stocks. Basically this is my "play money."

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latent Heat Load - HVAC Load Calculations [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell whether latent load contributes to the total cooling load of a building or not.if it does, tell which way, and how it should be looked at during load calculation of a building.Also if possible display a perfect, easily understood definition of latent heat.Thanks

Kenmore front load washer won't agitate/spin if load too heavy [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore front loading washer, model 417.43042200, won't agitate or spin to complete the cycle if the load is too heavy, such as 5 bath towels. If I take off the back and help turn the drum in the agitate or spin mode it will agitate/spin and complete the cycle. The pump still drains the tub. If...

277/480 load after transformer = to 120/208 load feed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 amp 120/208 3P stand up section that feeds a step up 90kva transformer and the loads are nearly equal? I thought that after the transformer the load of 277/480 would be drawing less. We have about 500 amps per phase being drawn in front of the transformer and the load at the sub...

Mutual Fund [ 2 Answers ]

What is Mutual Fund?

View more questions Search