Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Jul 8, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Fear of airplanes
    Hi,

The company I work for has decided they need to send me overseas for business but I'm really not comfortable as I am deathly afraid of planes.
    I've only been on a plane once and it didn't go too well.
    I've talked directly to my boss about this and he recons it's just an opportunity to combat my fear.

What kinds of therapy has been most successful ? What helps you get onto a plane?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Drugs to basically almost put you out while flying, hypnosis works well at times.

It is about the most safest method of travel, more people die yearly from car accidents and taking baths than they do from air travel.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 8, 2006, 11:42 AM
    I was afraid to fly at one time too and had to fly often in my previous career. I learned that if I sat in the front row seat that faces a wall, I somehow had an easier time than if I can see all the passengers up the aisle. Also don't drink, it aggrevates it despite how you may think it helps to relax. Also sometimes I would just buck up as I stepped aboard and say, "okay this is as good a day to die as any!", have a little laugh to myself and give the whole thing a big push and it would stay almost out of mind. I hate to say it but repeated exposure wore a lot of it off. Take off and landing is still hard though but having talked often to other passengers, I understand it is for many people. I hope that is helpful.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jul 8, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Have a window seat,concentrate on take-off,watch the plane lift into the air.Every slight movement,every little "twitch" that the plane makes,means that you are a 100% safe,and will reach your destination.Enjoy the flight,fix your mind on the best holiday you ever had.On approach to landing,think of all the duty free you can get your family... there.. journeys end.Nothing to it was there. :)

Above all,think how lucky you are to be given the opportunity to travel overseas for your company. :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Hi,
    Overcoming flight fears is different for different people.
    One option is always medication. If you can't overcome it yourself, then please see a doctor, explain the situation, and I am sure he/she can prescribe a mild sedative. It will help take the "edge" off your fear.
    Best wishes.
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Jul 9, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Look at it this way, If it was meant for you to expire by plane, one could fall on you,or a piece of one. Flying is safer or as safe as the train.
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Jul 11, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Thanks for all these suggestions.
    I think I'll try seeing a doctor for the sedatives as I have a horrible time trying to logically think this one through. I just turn into a sobbing heap. I just know it'll be hard to control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

My worst fear... [ 5 Answers ]

I haven't written in a while, simply because I have felt horrible... I thought I was pregnant months ago, but ended up it was just a scare once again... well my worst fear has happened and I have just found out that I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) so that means I am going to have a hard...

Fear of Needle [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering if anyone who is a medical assistant can answer my question... I want to become a medical assistant, but I have fear of needle and blood, is it require to give injection or to draw blood?

Fear of interviews,presentations! [ 11 Answers ]

I have a very disturbing nervousness problem, whenever I am going for an interview,presentation,speeches, my hands start trembling, and I can't breathe properly,I feel like my airway is constricted.. sometimes,even my legs tremble.I have really tried to overcome this,but this just happens anyway. I...

Airplanes [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the exact date of the last take off the Concorde aircraft from the New York airport.

View more questions Search