Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonsie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Renting a room in my house
    Hello there,

My question is I am trying my best to stay in my home with my family. To do this I don't see any other way than renting out one of the rooms. It's on the other side of the home and has it's own bathroom with a shower stall. I also have a 5 year old boy I am very apprehesive about that. Does anyone have any suggetions? Or knoows anywhere I can find some roomies? I am a stay-at-home mom since I lost my job and the pickings are bleak with finding another one so I thought this may help with putting some extra money in our pockets for bills.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:18 PM

Be careful when you let a stranger inside your home because you can't trust no one and you've to be extra careful because you have a child.

Do you live near a college because if you do you can post flyers around the campus because college students are always looking for a place to stay.

You can als try internet sites like roommates.com. I believe this site helps you find a rommate.

Lastly, before you allow the person to move in make sure you have them sign an agreement/lease and it make sure it states the amount of rent to pay. Also, make a list of rules and make sure they sign that as well. Make sur they have currents pay stubs and references and make sure you check them out. You can also request a current credit report and I'd do a background check on them. Nowadays you can do anything over the internet.

Dec 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Be careful when you let a stranger inside your home because you can't trust no one and you've to be extra careful because you have a child.

Do you live near a college because if you do you can post flyers around the campus because college students are always looking for a place to stay.

You can als try internet sites like roommates.com. I believe this site helps you find a rommate.

Lastly, before you allow the person to move in make sure you have them sign an agreement/lease and it make sure it states the amount of rent to pay. Also, make a list of rules and make sure they sign that as well. Make sur they have currents pay stubs and references and make sure you check them out. You can also request a current credit report and I'd do a background check on them. Nowadays you can do anything over the internet.
    Thanks for replying Liz. I do live near like 2 colleges maybe I would try that route. I am a member of roommate finder and all I have ever done so far was get to the point where I asked the person for the background check and then things fell through and we didn't close the deal. Even then I was apprehenive but I don't know what else to do.

Also there are fees for the background check should I ask the renter to pay for that as well. Because if I'm screening different candidates that money will have to come out of my pocketn each and evey time and mind you, I need extra money that is the only reason I am looking to rent a room out of my house.

You mentioned the agreement/lease can I find one on this site? I think I have one in my Microsoft office 07 that I can edit to my needs. Again thanks a bunch and that baby is beautiful.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:02 PM

Thank you for your comment.

I forgot that backgrounds checks can become expensive. The only thing I can come up with is to maybe join a site that does background checks because some of them offer a free trial or a prepaid period.

I am currently looking from a bigger place and most of the owners I spoke with requested for me to get a recent copy of my credit report, which I did and now have on hand. So maybe you can do the same or make them pay for a credit report and use the money to pay for the search.

Also, I would try the colleges and see what happens. You can Google leases or where to find a free lease, or something similar, and you most find many sites that can help you with that or use your Microsoft software.

I hope that help and someone else will come along with more ideas because I'am not an expert in this area but I do know a little about it because I had a roommate once and I learned a lot from it. I learned that you must get everything in writing and it's a process to get someone out when things don't work out.

Dec 13, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Thanks again Liz, I appreciate your input. Where are you located? Because I have a pretty large house 4 bed, 1 Den/Office, 3 bathrooms, 3 car garage. My oldest son went off to college and I have so much extra unused space without him there. I was always entertaining one of his guest after another so then the spase was used but not anymore. I wasn't thinking rationally when I purchased home obviously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a house. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just moved into a house, and I have 3 months of security and I was just served papers of a foreclosure on this house. Know I rented from a realastate and they knew nothing about this.Do I have to move or do I get to live out my security? I have to write a letter to the clerk at the court in 20...

Contract for renting a room in salon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I wonder if anyone can help, I am a self employed beautician who at the moment rents a room and has profit share in a local beauty salon. My problem is this... At this time I pay a rent of £25.00 per week to the salon owner plus I give her 55% of all moneys I take. This is what I and...

When Renting An Apt. Can kids (boy & girl) share a room? [ 1 Answers ]

I get numerous calls from families wanting to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, when what they really need is a 3 bedroom apartment. :confused: Is there a law that states how many children can fit into 1 bedroom (their parents would have their own bedroom)? :confused: Is there a law against a boy...

Renting a room to a friend, what kind of lease should I use? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that needs a place to stay for 6 months until they move into a house. I am willing to rent him a room in my house for him & his wife in the meantime. I want us to remain friends, so I told him that we would write down everything ahead of time prior to his moving in so that we all...

Renting a room in a beauty salon [ 2 Answers ]

I pay full time rent for a room ia a beauty salon, but I profer to use the room four days a week. I pay the rent so as to not share the room.Does the owner have the right to ask me too allow someone else to use the room in my absence?

View more questions Search