Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissymarie Posts: 563, Reputation: 53

Dec 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
    I think its dirt.
    I have light brown caramel colored skin. After I'm done showering and start to dry off I can rub off a layer of something all over my body. It kind peels off like a thin layer of clay all over my body. It is dark gray. What is this thin layer of stuff and how do I get rid of it? I've tried all kinds of soaps but I still end up having the same issue.

My routine is:

1. shower in the morning with dove soap and sponge
    2. use a loofah with a sugar scrub in the rough places
    3. dry off and peel the layer over clay off me... most on my neck, legs and back, but really its every where.
    4. apply lotion
    5. shower again the next morning.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:51 AM

It sounds to me like dead skin.

Dec 11, 2008, 08:42 AM

Is there any medication or lotion for excess dry skin build up?
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:54 AM

What kind of lotion are you using? I get really dry skin this time of year too. Sometimes it depends what kind you're using.
    WFM117 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I think that it may be a combination of a couple things. If the lotion that you are using has an oily residue this may have some build up on your skin that is retaining dead skin follicles. The scrub and the dove soap also sound as if they have moisturizing properties in them as well. All things combined may add up to a thin layer of grim on the skin. Try changing the routine, instead of using lotion right after showering, dry completely off then apply. Possibly trying a different brand will help, but I think that you will find the solution with a routine/product change.

Dec 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    what kind of lotion are you using? I get really dry skin this time of year too. Sometimes it depends what kind you're using.

I use AVON Oatmeal Lotion for Dry skin
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 11:30 AM

Hmm. I don't see a problem there. Oatmeal is good for dry skin. Maybe talk to a dermatologist
    SweetBeth Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 11:55 AM
    It could be your lotion and dry skin. Do you lay in a tanning bed? This happened to me before when I use to tan. It was skin for me, maybe you should stop the lotion for awhile or switch to a different kind.

Dec 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
    No I don't tan but I think it may be my lotion. I was told once because of how bad my skin looks and how it reacts to a lot of product I may have sensitive skin and just have not been diagnosed. But then when I use products for sensitive skin they seem not to work or last that long... I'll start a thread asking how to know if you have sensitive skin. That may be the answer to my pronlem. This has been an ongoing issue since I was 12 and my routine has changed multiple times.
    Pirate88 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 10:23 PM

Do you shower everyday? If you are than that could be the cause as well. Showering everyday the water strips off your skin and drys it out even more.
    I had this problem and had to resort to showering every other day. That doesn't mean I'm not clean every other day in between I just don't go all body in. I just use a cloth on the off days. For those who are clean freaks,. lol,. no offense.

Jan 12, 2009, 08:46 AM

Actaully no I do not shower every day. I am aware that is bad for skin but I have solved my problem.

I found this exfoliating bar called FAIR AND WHITE. It works wonders. Since I have been using it my skin tone is evening out and getting a lot smoother. I also have less "dirt" on my body. The soap is really great. I didn't realize how much dirt and oil was on my body until you used it. I hope anyone else having the same problem as me is able to find it and use it. It is truly a miracle.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    hellothere1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jan 15, 2009, 06:16 AM

Yes it does sound like dead skin. I've had a similar problem before usually around my ankles which I think is where it is harder to clean. Though I find that dove soap really dries my skin out, would you say the same?
    Try using a different soap or shower gel.

Jan 15, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere1 View Post
    yes it does sound like dead skin. i've had a similar problem before usually around my ankles which i think is where it is harder to clean. though i find that dove soap really dries my skin out, would you say the same?
    try using a different soap or shower gel.
    I've solved this problem. I use a exfoliating soap called Fair and White followed by Dove body Wash and now I no longer lotion my entire body right after a shower. I think the problem was product residue all over my body. Thanks for your help though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirt bikers? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to get a owners or repair manuel for a 2005 honda crf 230. How do I do that?

Dirt around pool [ 1 Answers ]

After waiting 2 weeks for the pool to settle, would it be a good idea to put a black tar or a undercoating around the area you are going to build up with dirt so the frame & track won't rust? I'm looking to build up the lowest point approx 6 inches high. Thanks in advance

Big mound of dirt [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a house with a enormous mound of dirt in the back yard. It is so big that are dog keeps jumping over the fence. What is the best way of removing this dirt? We have already removed 6 wheelbarrow full of dirt and re-alocated it throughout the garden. My husband says it would take...

Dirt amounts [ 1 Answers ]

How much dirt would I need (in yards ) to fill a hole 1ft deep by 10 ft long by 15ft wide

View more questions Search