Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrhall41 Posts: 123, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
    3 year old that doesn't want to eat
    I am having problems with my 3 year old granddaughter and her eating habits. She has always had some kind of breakfast (Eggos, pancakes) before going to school, but in the last few weeks, she doesn't want to eat. She goes to school around 7:30 - 7:45 and according to her school schedule she gets a little snack around 9. She has her lunch around 11:30 and another little snack around 3:30. I have found some of the snacks in the bookbag unopened, and yesterday the school sent her macaroni & cheese lunch intact and uneaten. She had an infection a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday she was taken to the doctors office again and now she has upper respiratory infection. Could it be the reason for her appetite being lost?
    I am really concerned because she she comes home at night she is famished and wants to eat as soon as she gets home, which is usually 6:30. She is not very heavy, a little on the thin side, and now with her not eating, she gets me concerned.
    Is there anything that we can give her to stimulate her appetite or should we just wait and see if she starts eating when her infections clear?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 11:14 AM

I'd wait until she's feeling better. Ask her if there's something she wants for breakfast, even just some Cheerios out of the box or maybe a few crackers. Also, ask her about her school snack. If she helps choose, she might be more interested in it. If she can "graze" during the day with some nutritious snacks, that at least would be something. It's good she's hungry for supper.

Please also gently investigate if something is happening at school that keeps her from eating. Tell her a story about how you ate pb&j sanwiches every day when you were in school which now sounds so boring. Make yourself the focus of eating/no eating or a school conflict of some kind, and maybe she will give you a hint of something that might be going on at school. Or what do other kids bring for snacks and would something else be better or more yummy for her to take. But DON'T force the issue--and now I'm thinking just wait and don't put ideas into her head. Give her time to get well.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 12:00 PM

My son is 5 and had the same type of appetite. I supplement with pediasure. It helps to keep some weight on him.
    lrhall41 Posts: 123, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2008, 01:05 PM

Thanks to both of your answers. Wondergirl, we do not select the snacks that they get in school, they are provided by the school, but maybe we can send some in her bag in case she doesn't like the ones they are offering her.
    Danielnoahsmommy, we had her with Pediasure until a couple of months ago, and now she doesn't like it anymore. We have tried all the different flavors, but she won't take them. Thanks for your suggestions.
    We will probably send her to school with additional snacks and see if at least she can survive with that.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:48 PM

Pediasure has a new drink. I forgot what it is called. It is very tasty and not as thick.
    krzekali89 Posts: 66, Reputation: 8

Dec 10, 2008, 05:08 PM
    My cousin went through that when she was around the same age. She had pneumonia though. The way my grandma got her to eat was by taking her to her favorite restaurant... and told her that is she ate just a little bit like a big girl that she would get a special surprise. My grandma would give her, her favorite dessert or a little toy or something inexpensive that she would enjoy. It got my cousin to eat... try it. Good luck and I hope she gets better soon.
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 11, 2008, 03:34 PM

Since she has an upper respiratory infection. I'd give her some time to recoup but keep offering her food... have you tried some pudding and jello etc. But, if she was a good eater before the infection her appetite should return to normal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 year relationship, 2 year marriage. And now he questions what true love is [ 2 Answers ]

Background (it's a long one, too): We are in our mid 20's and have known each other for 10 years. We dated exclusively through high school but without any commitment to marriage. That "in love" blissful feeling lasted for quite some time, well into our college years. He has always been a...

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

10 year old son doesn't want me to leave his abusive father [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in an abusive marriage for ten years. . I have made the decision to leave my husband. I have three wonderful children, whom I have talked to about the upcoming separation. My two young girls seemed to handle it well. My 10 year old son , however, is having a difficult time with this. He...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search