Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambrjms44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Remove old tile from cement basement floor
    Having some trouble removing old tile from my basement floor. Is there any thing that I can do to lossen the tile up first. I have tried to scrap it and chip it but it still won't come up in some spots of the floor. HELP.
    1099669 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Dec 8, 2008, 07:27 AM

What type of tile is it? Vinyl, ceramic, or what? And what are you going to do with the space after you have the tile up?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 09:19 AM

If this is vinyl/tar 12 x 12 self adhesive or the old glue down,I have used dry ice.(CO2)

By spreading the dry ice around,evenly distributed, the ice would make the mastic brittle enough to break right off,clean, from the concrete.

Wearing chemical gloves and safety glasses is recommended.Safety first.
    ambrjms44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
    it is 4x4 vinyl tile, it breaks off fairly easy is some spots with an ice scraper but there is a large area that just won't brak up. Some of the tile is up so I just can't lay over the top of it I started because someone had already did it before I moved in so some tile was already gone. I am going to paint it with an epoxy after I get it up.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ambrjms44 View Post
    it is 4x4 vinyl tile, it breaks off fairly easy is some spots with an ice scraper but there is a large area that just won't brak up. some of the tile is up so I just can't lay over the top of it I started because someone had already did it before I moved in so some tile was already gone. I am going to paint it with an epoxy after I get it up.
    I don't know your location but this site will help you to understand my earlier post better.

What is Dry Ice? | How to Make Dry Ice | Forms of Dry Ice | Uses of Dry Ice

KBC
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 08:07 PM

Have you thought about having the tile tested for asbestos? You can rent a chipping machine that is the size of a lawn mower but you could be spraying asbestos tile chips and/or adhesive into a friable condition.
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 9, 2008, 10:39 AM

You can go down to Home Depot and pick up a 7" Heavy Duty Scraper that will remove it, given enough elbow grease. The best part is you can take the scraper back when you are finished and get your money back. Some sort of tool loan program.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 07:24 PM

And if it was asbestos you now have an exposure problem on your hands. I'd get it tested and then rent a chiiper like most pros do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove the black tile glue from a conrete floor in the basement. [ 4 Answers ]

How to remove the black glue from a concrete floor in the basement. We removed the tile, which was buckling and now we are left with a black, uneven mess. We would like to just paint the floor. Please help.

A way to put a drain in a basement cement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Speedball has helped me before so maybe he or someone else can advise me now. I will need to move a drain (that is already cemented in a basement floor) about 3 feet. The way I was told by a plumber is to use a concrete saw. I do not want the mess a concrete saw will create so I thought of...

Remove grout from a floor tile [ 7 Answers ]

Can I remove grout from a tile?

Tile directly to cement basement floor to create shower [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had to rip out a small neo angle shower in my basement because it backed up. It has a metal strainer on it that rusted shut and the floor drain was not above the shower pan drain to be reached. Also, it turns out that under the plastic shower pan of the previous shower, the tiling...

Removing Old Vinyl Tile from Cement Floor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old vinyl tile from a cement floor? The tile has been on the floor for approx. 25 years and is securely stuck to the cement. Thank you, Mary Hamilton

View more questions Search