Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandrap79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Tile adhesive not drying
    Hello,

We have got some 316 x 450mm tiles which we have been tiling on plywood in our bahtroom. However, some of those tiles won't stick. After two days the adhesive below is still not dry and the tile can easily be taken off again. We have use Unibond anti mould premixed adhesive.
    Could anyone help with this problem? Are we using the wrong adhesive?

Thanks
    Sandra
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 06:05 PM

I would recommend not laying tile directly on plywood. Will need a better subfloor material for adhesive to properly hold. Or make sure adhesive is designed for the two materials you are trying to bond(tile, wood,)

What type of tile are you using? I have a friend that does flooring day in and day out. I will try to get hold of him and see what he has to say, but will need more info as to brand and style of tile and adhesive.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 06:18 PM

Waiting for reply
    Flooring teck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 06:37 PM

Most tile needs a hard surface that has a good seal like
    1\4 pine. Plywood sucks out the moisture out of the glue
    And the bonding agents won't work correctly.What style
    Of tile are we talking about.Need more info.hope I can help
    You with this problem please reply.
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2008, 03:29 AM
    I've always used 1/8" masonite hardboard as a subfloor, puttying and sanding the joints, and had great success with this. Never had glue that refused to dry. You might try sanding and priming and relaying tiles. The primer should keep the plywood from removing the moisture too quick from the adhesive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhesive for tile over sheet vinyl [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between mastic and thinset adhesive and which should be used when installing ceramic tile over sheet vinyl floorcovering?

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Tile adhesive will not dry [ 1 Answers ]

Have installed 12x24 inch porcelain tiles in our kitchen on top of old tiles. Used a premixed tile adhesive (which a friend used in his kitchen on top of old tile with no problem). After 5 days it has not dried fully (only dried in a few spots). Will it dry eventually or do I have to start over?

Stick-down tile adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have an apartment where I put down vinyl composition tiles (1/8" VCT). The tenant covered about 125 square feet of it with stick-down tile. It's a lot of work, but the stick-down tiles can be removed one-by-one with a heat gun. The problem is, how do I remove the adhesive that remains on the...

Ceiling tile adhesive [ 2 Answers ]

What type of adhesive should be used when installing 4" tile squares to the ceiling of a small, 32" x 32" shower stall. The substrate is cement board. Thanks for the assist! Jay Lorenco

View more questions Search