Ask
    llovec Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Braeburn thermostat no power
    Braeburn thermostat no power. Help!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:08 PM

Feel free to type more words,, there is no charge. Braeburn thermostat,, is this all info you can tell us,, are you saying the tstat has no power? Could be you have no low voltage power coming from the furnace. Transformer is what provides the low voltage (control power),, 1st thing check the breakers in main power box, work your way through the furnace checking for power,or lack of it
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:14 PM

wmproop, lol. My thoughts exactly

Now, is your thermostat battery opperated?
    If so, change batterys. This is just a shot in the dark. Definitely need more info as to your problem. Just let us know what you find, and we will try to help.

Dec 10, 2008, 05:33 PM

Sorry about that. And sorry for the late reply. Had many things going on this past weekend and didn't expect a quick reply.
    There was power now there isn't. I went up to the attic where the heater/furnace is at and looked. I think I saw the 'transformers' but not sure. I turned the breakers off and then on from the furnace. I also checked the breaker located in the garage (which is almost exactly behind the thermostat). It is not battery operated. I took the non functioning thermostat from downstairs and put it up stairs and it worked. Would the transformer be in the wall behind the thermostat? If so how would I get to it?? I hope I did not provide 'too much' information. Thank you.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 07:03 PM

Well you did good in finding out that the tstat does seem to be working OK,, not being there its hard to say for sure the transformer is the culprit,but it's the first place to start. The transformer is in the furnace it-self. There should be a diagram posted on the inside of the door that could help you in finding it,with a meter check for power going into the transformer if its electric (I`m guessing) it will have 220-230 volts going in and around 24 vilts coming out, if you don`t have 2 volts coming out ,is like to be bad, unless you might have a loose wire somewhere,, keep us informed

Dec 11, 2008, 05:37 PM

Thank you wmproop for that piece of information. The funny thing is that I did look into the furnace just to look at it but I did not pay attention to detail (almost like looking in the refrigerator for no apparent reason waiting for a magical chocolate cake to appear).
    I went back up there and I located the transformer. Now before I go on I just want to say that the wife told me the bottom thermostat worked before we moved in to our new home. I never gave it much thought nor did I ever test it out beforehand so I can't say.
    But anyhow I think I know the problem but before I go connecting anything up I want to say this... The downstairs thermostat is not connected. The Transformer is connected to two separate groups of 8 wires (red is connected). Group#1 goes somewhere out down the attic (where I don't know). Group#2 goes to a wood board that has three (3) big nails labeled E, (up arrow), and (down arrow). Group#2 goes to the E nail. The 6 of the 8 wires are connected to another group of 8 wires that are around the (up arrow) nail. This goes to the up stairs thermostat (I confirmed this as such). The (down arrow) nail has a group of 8 wires but it is not connected to anything. Thus my theory that the downstairs thermostat was never connected thus does not have power. My two (2) questions to you wmproop 1. Where is Group#1 wires going to or how can I find where it is going to (it goes to the edge of the attic towards the middle of the house and disappears in the insulin). 2. Would it harm my furnace to connect the (down arrow) wires with the E and (up arrow wires)? Of course I would turn off the breaker first before I do any connecting.
    Thank you for your help.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 05:40 PM

I believe if you could post some detailed pictures of what you are talking about, it would help greatly in achieving further advice.

Jan 10, 2009, 11:35 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
    Sorry for the long delay. I got sick soon after my last post. Then I had to prepare for Christmas, then for New Years. Now that everything is out the way here is the situation. I went ahead with my hunch and connected the wires. It worked. So downstairs was never plugged up. Now I am having the problem where upstairs it hot and downstairs is blowing little to no hot air. A friend came over and attempted to hook up the relay wires which are red and white BUT are connected to the relay box wires red and yellow. I hooked up the red to the red on the main unit. I tried hooking up the white to white (did not work), with to yellow (did not work), and white to green (kindof but not really). So the question is how do I make it so that the thermostats work separately i.e. if I have upstair off then no heat or cold should be blowing upstairs when the downstairs is on. And vice versa.

Jan 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
    GUESS WHAT... I figured it out!!
    In one of my earlier posts I questioned a wire going to an unknown location towards the end of the wall. That wire is actually going to the Compressor outside.
    Now how if figured out the problem I just previously posted was looking at the wiring diagram on paper and remembering there is a brown wire upstair. I didn't see an obvious 'brown' on the diagram so I investigated. The brown wire is listed as 'E' on the diagram which is the Emergency Heat Relay. The W2 (white) is the Auxiliary Heat Relay. Downstair has AUX HEAT displayed while the upstairs does not. So I put 2 & 2 together and connected the white to brown for the upstairs and white to white for the downstair of the relay wires. Now it works perfectly!
    I really appreciate all of your help.
    I rather be lucky than good any day!!
    dobiefloyd Posts: 67, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Did you also hook up your zone motors? If the stat wasn't odds are good they never wired the zone motors.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dobiefloyd View Post
    Did you also hook up your zone motors? If the stat wasn't odds are good they never wired the zone motors.

What zone motors?

Jan 19, 2009, 11:06 AM

Zone Motors? Please explain
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 11:50 AM
    See this post

dobiefloyd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Braeburn Model 1200 2 Heat Differential's? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having a lot of problems with this thermostat getting it to maintain the temperature I have set. For example I have the temp set at 72 then I set the first and second differential's both set at 2. The problem is that the temp will go down then back up, around 70-71, then I will feel...

No power to thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I was not getting any heat from one of the zones for my heating. I tried to replace the thermostat but when I tested the two wires (red and white) only the red wire had power without the thermostat attached. When I attached the thermostat the furnace seemed to kick on but still no heat. Could it...

Wiring a Braeburn thermostat on a trane HP [ 7 Answers ]

Hi,I have a Trane HP.It is a package unit(one piece heat and cool).I am trying to wire up a Braeburn model 3000 thermostat to it.The wiring diagrams do not help.The trane is a 3 ton unit with heat strips.The wiring diagram on it shows typical wiring for a seven wire connection to thermostat.The...

No power out to my thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Can anyone help I replaced a thermostat (ruud) because the power was always on The fan kept blowing even when the unit have been turn to the off position and the fan was on the auto position Now nothing comes on I checked the trasformer where it has 120 coming in but no power coming out...

Honeywell stat to braeburn [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honeywell stat t8734c1432. I replaced it with a braeburn 5000. I have a staights cool outside condenser and a gas furnace in the attic. I have no heat after changing the stats. The honeywell is a 4 wire stat with a jumper between the y terminal and terminal 1. white is to w, red to r,...

View more questions Search