Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Dec 4, 2008, 08:29 AM
    I can deal with everything but this.
    7 years ago I got cancer. By the time it was over they cut out my throat and tongue and had to rebuild everything. Since then I haven't and will never eat by mouth again. But I still am the best cook you have ever seen. I get that and I can live with that.

What I can't deal with is that now, I can't get warm. I'm always cold. It rules my life. I have a electric mattress pad and blanket. And two dogs sleeping on me and I'm still cold. My wife once got in the shower with me and screamed because the water was that hot. She couldn't even hold her hand in the water.

I understand that I have some problems with temp. I know that because I was a cold weather cameraman. If it was very cold conditions I was person to call. I have been frostbit bad 4 times. I didn't lose anything but it was close. Very close.

My whole world revolves around if I can be warm. I live in Michigan. I have to have my own room that I keep in the 80's and I still have 3 pairs of socks, 3 shirts and 2 pairs of sweat pants on and I am still cold.

It is ruling my life. And I don't like it. Is there anything I can do? Suggestions? Advice?
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 4, 2008, 08:53 AM

WOW... I think that you covered every possibility.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 10:43 AM

Do you do any activities,keeping the muscles active and more blood flow through your system?

That has helped my mother keep warm,to a degree anyway.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 12:59 PM

I am always cold also. What has helped me is Niacinamide capsules. I take 500 mg several times a day and one at night. For the last month or so of taking this all the time I am actually getting warmer and warmer. I, too, can take a scalding hot shower with no ill effects as well. In the AM I used to have a temperature of 96.4. Now it is as high as 97.7 and each week it goes up a teensey bit when I wake up. Try that. Just be sure to eat something before taking this or you'll get a deadful stomachache until you are used to it. Gradually build up taking several pills a day as well or your system will not start using it properly. Good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 08:16 PM

I also freeze very badly. In fact I am sitting in the cold right now waiting for my heater to warm the place up because the gas company shut my gas off because my payment for November took the post office 21 days to get it to them.
    Anyway I have noticed that my body temperature tolerance is a lot better (I feel warmer) when I take a hot bath everyday. Something about a hot bath! Also try drinking hot teas and hot cocoa. Like twinkie said niacinamide and getting as healthy as possible. I noticed that since I have been taking vitamins I have not been getting as freezing cold as I had been for years.

MY plan is to eventually (hopefully by next year) to move to a warm/hot climate.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 10:07 AM

I also recommend using an electric blanket at night and wearing a hat or knit cap at night when you sleep and even in the daytime when you are awake wear a hat. My temp this AM was 98.0! So you can see the niacinamide truly is making a difference with my whacked out thermostat.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 09:18 AM

Another thing that I sometimes do is when I go out in the slushy wet winter weather I take the plastic bags they put your newspaper in and put it on my feet before I put my boots on. It helps keep your feet warm and dry.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 11:18 AM

What has the doctor said about it, a chemical imbalance can cause issues like this.
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Jan 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Thank you. I have my doctors appointment next week and I will ask him is it will cause problems with my other meds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the deal? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 days late and for the last four days I have been having some brownish blood/discharge. What does this mean?

How do I deal? [ 6 Answers ]

It has been 63 days since my ex broke up with me, since he said that he felt torn about breaking up because he loved me but he had to make this decision because he's been going through so much and should be focusing on his path in life and he couldn't support the kind of relationship he said I...

How do you deal with this? [ 23 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, If you have any kind of disability where it makes you look different and when going to a restaurant someone laughs or stares at you, what would you do? Now to make this situation even worse what if you had some teens taking a picture of you on their cell phone and laughing and...

View more questions Search