Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shells20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Grade 11-energy and power
    How do you find output energy given only Power (1500 W) and delta time (173 s) ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 06:00 PM

Energy is power * time, so with what's supplied the answer will be in Watt-seconds. Not a typical unit, but a unit of energy nonetheless. You can easily convert to Kilowatt-hours if you like. This may be a unit your familiar with.

One of my supervisors once said that people like numbers between 1 and 10. Ok; 1 and 100; so 10e-9 amps becomes 10 nanoamps etc.

So if the answer in W-s, W-min, Kw-h yields a number between 1-100, that's the one to use, unless your comparing it to something.

Make sense?

Dec 3, 2008, 08:42 PM
    umm actually I kind of get what your trying to say there. But my assignment is really based on just using the formula P=E/T and Eg=mgh :S buh thanku so much anyway :)
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 08:51 PM

And P = E/T ---> E = P * T; Right?

Multiply both sides by T

These problems should tell you something. Units are just as important as numbers. So is precision and error bars. But you may not be there yet.

In some cases 1E15 is virtually the same as 3E15 and in some cases it's not - like money.

Dec 3, 2008, 08:55 PM

yea buh I think that would represent or give the input energy! To find output energy my guess was to use the formula q=mct
    thanks so much again
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 09:10 PM

q-mcT doesn't apply.

Actually P can be positive or negative. Positive P is energy disapated and negative P is power generated. In the formal sense this is true.

Thus a 16 MW power plant has P = -16MW. A house load of 1 KW is a positive value.

This makes P generated = P disapated

Only the sign changes.

So, if it's energy generated then the sign is negative because P is negative.

We usually don't care because we KNOW that a power plant generates energy, but the governing equations won't solve.

Usually equations like Power(generated)=Power(disapated) are much more difficult in the long run than Power(disapated)+Power(generated)=0
    visharad Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Dec 4, 2008, 03:57 AM

Multiply power and delta time. You will get the answer in J (i.e. Joule).
    This is because Watt * second means Joule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Chevy Tahoe Passenger Power Windows and Both Power Seats not Working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. The passenger side windows stopped working and both passenger and driver power seats stopped working. All of this happened at the same time. I saw this same problem posted by another user back in January but I didn't see a clear answer. Does anybody know how to fix...

Work, energy, power [ 1 Answers ]

Rowan and jean are tobogganing on an old pasture with rolling hills. At A the hill is 14m high; at B, 2.8m, at A, the toboggan is just beginning to slide. a)if there is no loss of mechanical energy, what is the velocity of the toboggan at B? b) if 25% of the mechanical energy at A is lost by B,...

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Explain How energy, time, and power are related? [ 1 Answers ]

Explain how energy, time and power are related?

Power and energy transfer [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: A loaded ore car has a mass of 950kg and rolls on rails with negligible friction. It starts from rest and is pulled up a mine shaft by a cable connected with a winch. The shaft is inclined at 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. The car accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.20m/s in 12.0...

View more questions Search