Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssc0204 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Leak from Ceiling in the Family Room
    Hi,

I have a leak in 2 spots in the family room ceiling.one spot is small but the other one is quite big and it is coming from the bath tub which is right above it.I have called the plumbing guys and they had did some repair(tightened the face plates etc in master and 2nd full bath) without cutting the ceiling.I filled the bathtub through half way and left it for 3 or 4 hours and still see the leak/wetness in the ceiling.So,the repair did not fix the leak.

The plumbing guys told me the next step they will be doing is to cut the ceiling and have the technician go through it and find out where the leak is coming from.

Is there any other better way of finding out where the leak is coming from without cutting the ceiling.Please advise.

Thanks.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 11:18 AM

If you have a closet or something behind the tub faucet it is possible that you might cut into that wall and find the problem, but if you do find it that way it is still possible that you would still have to cut the ceiling to repair what ever the problem is.
    ssc0204 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks letmetellu.Why do say that I still need to cut the ceiling to fix the leak.Since a hole will be made through the closet to access the leak area.Isn't it not possible to fix the problem through the closet, this way I don't need to cut the ceiling?
    Tarponman Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2008, 03:29 PM
    My advice is try to gain access behind the tub, maybe through a side panel? You definitely have a leak in the tub valve or drain seal area. Try to take a flashlight if you can gain visual access and look for a possible leak.
    The damage the water leak is creating- is far worse than if you can cut a piece of paneling next to the tub to view for leaks, if you know what I mean.
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Barnwood family room [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home with a family room done completely in barn wood. The room is too dark for my taste. Any suggestions on how to lighten up this room without taking the barnwood completely out?

Screen Room roof leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old screen roof that has a insulated roof system. Since this roof faces the east in the hot Florida sun there is plenty of expansion and contraction. The room continues to leak each time it rains. It has been suggested that due to the pitch of that roll roofing be applied to...

Leak on the ceiling of living room [ 2 Answers ]

I have a water leak about 1 1/2 inch in diameter in the ceiling of the living room. The upstairs bathroom is above the leak. How can I find out if it is coming from the shower or the toilet? Or does it matter? Does the water from both drain through the same pipe?

Leak in on Lounge room ceiling -bathroom above [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have perodic leak from my bathroom onto the ceiling in my lounge room. I had the first leak at christmas 2 yrs ago. When after bathing the children a tiny amount of water came through a tiny hole in the ceiling into the lounge. It did leave a stain on the ceiling along a straight...

View more questions Search