Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemmom Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Keeping a 20 month old entertained
    My daughter just turned 20 months old. It is hard for me to do any cooking, cleaning or anything around the house because she tends to be very clingy. Toys, coloring books, and some children's shows only keep her occupied or entertained for 15 to 20 minutes. I pay her a lot of attention, like reading to her and coloring with her. I have read that this is normal, but it is driving me up the wall. Please give me any suggestions as to how I can teach her to play by herself while I get things done around the house.
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Dec 2, 2008, 11:57 AM

As past experience "join the crowd " of all mothers. Just be glad she isn't twins :) . But, play with her as much you can before you know it she'll be all grown up. Try to remember that the house work and such will ALWAYS be present... just chill and enjoy your little girl :-)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:39 PM

A few things that I found helped:

When doing things in the kitchen, I kept tupperware in a bottom cupboard and the kids could sit on the floor taking things out and messing with them while I got my kitchen cleaned. It also becomes a lesson in putting things away when you have her help you put them back in the cupboard.

You can do a general bathroom cleaning by putting her in the tub to play (works well if you have the ring that keeps her in place). She gets a bath at the same time.

When vaccuming, let her walk behind the vacuum cleaner and "help" you push it around a bit.

If she still uses a highchair, let her play with some things on her tray with the chair in the kitchen near you while you cook or clean.

Sure some of this will take you a bit more time, but she gets to be with you, which they often just need to check in on you from time to time, and you get some of your chores done. Do more time consuming things while she sleeps.

15-20 minutes is pretty good for a 20 month old... rest assured she will stretch this time out over the next several months, but as Eileen mentioned, they really do grow up so quickly... be sure to spend that time with her when you can! Let some of the housework go if you have to... maybe relax your standards a bit if you find it is just too much to keep up on. Or inlist the help of other family members.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 04:57 PM

Just to add, you can get her some cleaning supplies toys like a toy vacuum, sweeper, etc. This way while your cleaning she can mimic you. Those toys came in handy when my daughter was younger and it made her think she was really cleaning. Make cleaning like a game and believe me it would keep her busy.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Dec 10, 2008, 08:05 PM

I agree totally with all the good suggestions. My little boy is 2 1/2 and sometimes like that too. We got him a toy vacuum that turns on and sounds real last year for christmas. He loves that thing! We have dogs, so I vacuum almost everyday, and he always runs to his room to get his so he can help mommy. When I empty the dishwasher, it's his job to hand me the cups and bowls and such and I put them in the cupboards. When we do laundry I put the wet clothes on the dryer door and it's his job to push them in and shut the door when we're done. When we empty the little garbages into the kitchen one to go out the can, it's his job to put them back in the room where they came from. There are tons of little ways you can devise for her to help you. It takes longer yes, but it shows her you value her and that she's a big girl and can help mommy. Have fun they are great at this age!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

View more questions Search