Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uvware Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
    My brother's CS
    I've seen both sides of the coin.
    My brother had a child with this girl who has children for a living... her whole family lives off the child support and welfare that she is collecting from all the fathers.

My brother (who is not an angel either) recently graduated from rehab and wants to get his life in order. The court has ordered him to pay $451/mo and will take away his license if he doesn't pay. Which makes no sense.

He is a felon and has a bad rap sheet but does want to get his life on track and support his child. They don't understand that it takes time and that he will start on min. wage. Now, how is he supposed to live, eat and pay $451 a month? Yes, he did have this child, but what responsibility does the mother have. She doesn't work, she just gets checks from the state for her 6 children, welfare, low housing income and food stamps/WIC.

We should help the people who want to help themselves and put guidelines for people who do not want to help themselves.

I know this is not all the situations out there, but they should look at the reality of the situation and work with the fathers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 12:59 PM

If he has been ordered to pay $451 a month and that is not in line with State law or his income/expenses then he needs to file for a reduction.

The reality of the situation is that the child needs to eat, wear shoes, have heat and light and the father is at least partially responsible for providing those necessities. Should the child go without while the father is attempting to get his life back on track? As a taxpayer, I think it's his responsibility, not mine.

And the sad part of the situation is - and I appreciate your brother has had some problems - that your brother had a child with a woman who (apparently) has never worked, has X number of children with other men, receives Government benefits and he is now
    surprised that now she's going after him for support (just like she chased after everyone else) - ?

I appreciate that he's your brother, he's coming out of a bad place, you love him, you will defend him to the death - but he created this child and now it's his responsibility to support the child.

You've also posted that he can't find employment because he has tattoos on his face. Has he looked into getting those removed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 2, 2008, 05:58 AM

I moved your post to its own thread. Your response was way more about your brother then about the issue raised by the OP of the other thread. Since your post didn't really respond to the OP's issue I moved it.

Dec 2, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If he has been ordered to pay $451 a month and that is not in line with State law or his income/expenses then he needs to file for a reduction.

The reality of the situation is that the child needs to eat, wear shoes, have heat and light and the father is at least partially responsible for providing those necessities. Should the child go without while the father is attempting to get his life back on track? As a taxpayer, I think it's his responsibility, not mine.

And the sad part of the situation is - and I appreciate your brother has had some problems - that your brother had a child with a woman who (apparently) has never worked, has X number of children with other men, receives Government benefits and he is now
    surprised that now she's going after him for support (just like she chased after everyone else) - ?

I appreciate that he's your brother, he's coming out of a bad place, you love him, you will defend him to the death - but he created this child and now it's his responsibility to support the child.

You've also posted that he can't find employment because he has tattoos on his face. Has he looked into getting those removed?
    I totally agree with you that it's not the taxpayer's responsibility, but your answer still did not address the responsibility of the mother. I think we all feel that children should be taken care of and it's the parent's responsbilities, not the state. I feel that it should be BOTH my brother and the mother raising their children and working to support them.

About the tatoos, yes he has... but if you've ever priced it out it's very, very expensive they go by square inch. He's now looking to see what non-profit organizations out there can help with it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uvware View Post
    I totally agree with you that it's not the taxpayer's responsibility, but your answer still did not address the responsibility of the mother. I think we all feel that children should be taken care of and it's the parent's responsbilities, not the state. I feel that it should be BOTH my brother and the mother raising their children and working to support them.

About the tatoos, yes he has....but if you've ever priced it out it's very, very expensive they go by square inch. He's now looking to see what non-profit organizations out there can help with it.

I know what you're saying but she is supporting the child or providing some of the support - she's collecting State benefits which, of course, boil down to the taxpayer again. For whatever reason she is getting Government assistance.

Good for him about the tatoos - and I know it's incredibly expensive. I did read and now I'll have to try to find it that some anti-gang tax force, maybe in NJ, was offering assistance or free gang symbol removal. Wonder if that transfers to tattoos which keep a person from finding employment? I'll have to see if I can find it again.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:30 PM

Yes, it is the responsibility of both parents to support the child. I'm not sure about your state but in WI, if this woman is on all of this state support, then they're going to require her to look for work. You don't just file for welfare and watch the state roll over and give it to you.

If she has all of these children that she's collecting all of this money for, her income is going to be above or near the poverty level and she isn't getting nearly as much as you think she does.

Dec 2, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I know what you're saying but she is supporting the child or providing some of the support - she's collecting State benefits which, of course, boil down to the taxpayer again. For whatever reason she is getting Government assistance.

Good for him about the tatoos - and I know it's incredibly expensive. I did read and now I'll have to try to find it that some anti-gang tax force, maybe in NJ, was offering assistance or free gang symbol removal. Wonder if that transfers to tattoos which keep a person from finding employment? I'll have to see if I can find it again.
    Thanks I appreciate you looking!
    pugglemama Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
    What a handicap to be born into a situation like this. I feel really bad for the 6 kids in that family. Is the mom a loving, caring mother? Or would they be better off in another more constructive family?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Brother's Death [ 28 Answers ]

I would like to ask if I am wrong feeling the way I feel about My Brothers death... ANGRY, LOST, EMPTY! He died very suddenly at home on the 2nd Feb this year from a massive heart attack... But let me take you back a bit so you know what I am talking about. 3 Years ago He was diagnosed with Kidney...

Brother's estate [ 1 Answers ]

My brother died on 6 Oct 08 in hospital in Holland of Leukameia aged 66. He was cremated in Holland on 14 Oct 08. He was divorced 3 times and not married at the time of his death. He had 7 children, the eldest is 45. He left no Will, Testament or instructions. He was British nationality. My...

I like my brother's friend. [ 7 Answers ]

;) Heller! I just signed up for this site!! :p I am having boy problems. I have a twin brother, and one of his friends is super HAWT! We both like each other and want to go out. But... then there is my brother. What should I do!? ~:confused: Soccerchick28

My brother's best friend and me. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so my brother's best friend asked me out and I said yes. I have the best time hanging out with him, and he's super nice. My brother isn't really okay with us though. I don't want to ruin my relationship with my brother, or my brother's with his best friend, but I really like this guy. What...

My brother's wellbeing [ 2 Answers ]

I live with my parents and my brother and sister. I am eighteen years old and am considering getting custody of my brother, but I don't graduate until June of this year. I have a part time job and upon graduation plan on getting a full time job until I decide to start college. My boyfriend, who...

View more questions Search