Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Will I have to reinstall XP after changing processor?
    Will I have to reinstall XP after changing the processor in my PC?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Since it's a major hardware change by Microsoft's view, you may get prompted to contact Microsoft for a new registration key.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
    If you are lucky then a repair install might suffice.
    jdbennet Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 11:18 PM

Probably. You'll need to reactivate and will have issues if you have an OEM licence. Don't do a repair install, there's a bug where it breaks windows update
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 26, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Since it's a major hardware change by Microsoft's view, you may get prompted to contact Microsoft for a new registration key.
    Most likely your system will not boot to Windows, and you will have to call Microsoft tech support, they will ask for your WinXP cd key code, then they will help you from there. But you will not need to do a reinstall.
    timtim-awesim Posts: 54, Reputation: -2

Dec 8, 2008, 08:52 PM

You shouldn't need to do anything. It is possible you will need to re-enter the Windows Product Key, but this isn't usually a problem.
    timtim-awesim Posts: 54, Reputation: -2

Dec 8, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Comment on jdbennet's post
    Even with my OEM Vista Home Basic license from Newegg.com, I was able to reformat many times on two different computers. Activation worked fine every time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AMD K6 Processor [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know what the speed of an AuthenticAMD K6 processor is. I have just had an IBM Aptiva custom built and the guy who built it said it's supposed to be at least 500 MHz, but my system information is saying it's only a 266 MHz. If it truly is 266, how can I be running XP Professional?

Processor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I was trying to install new PIV 2.5 Celeron processors on a computer that was using PIV 1.7 Celeron processors but the computer does not even reach post despite the fact that its on. What do you think is the problem?

Processor? [ 3 Answers ]

Can you please advise on which is best for the same price in a new laptop Intel Pentium 4 650 at 3.4GHz OR Pentium "M" 740 at 1.73GHz ( there is a 2+GHz at a much higher price available) The Two are HP zd8290ea and Dell 9300 Series Reply to [email protected]

View more questions Search