Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delcraft Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Ceiling fan: change capacitor for single speed
    I have a Loyal Products made in Taiwan fan with melted 4 wire capacitor. The capacitor has blue wire in and red 4uF, white 4.5uF and yellow 5uF wires out. This is connected to a two layer switch by the red and yellow wire. The white capacitor wire connects to a red wire going into the motor.
    My question is: Should I attempt to use a single value capacitor so that the fan only runs at high speed, thus allowing me to use a remote control switching unit?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
    It's probably easier to replace it with the same value capacitor than to figure out how you would wire a single capacitor and what value it would be (probably 4uf). You can still use a remote control.
    Delcraft Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Yes, that would be easiest, however I don't know why the capacitor over heated at the blue wire site. Should I expect to replace the switch as well in case that was some how the cause? I will try to add its picture
    Attached Images

ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 04:55 PM
    I don't think the switch would cause it. Are you using the fan with a dimmer switch or speed control?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing furnace fan speed to change delta [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Goodman furnace. About 3 years ago, I asked a service tech if there was anything that can be done to get warmer air out of the registers. He said he slowed the blower speed to get a higher temperature rise. I had the ductwork replaced and it is smaller than the original...

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

I need more speed on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter ceiling fan. It usually is on about 8hr during the night since I live in the tropics. I don't use the reverse and I have separate switches for the fan and light. The fan is set on max speed always. I need more breeze from the fan so I slightly bent each blade by about 2 degrees and...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

View more questions Search