Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbudach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
    No HSI start GMNT Goodman Janitrol No flame start
    I have a Janitrol (Goodman) furnace, and the controller board indicates 3 blinks. The flame blower starts, but it never gets to HSI (the ignitor never starts heating up). I've changed the controller board, and same issues. I've been through every sensor (bypassing all of them), and still no change. I've ohmed out all the sensors, but cannot determine the fault. I suspect that the order of start up is: Flame blower, then HSI, then gas valve, then sense heat, the blower motor. I don't even get to HSI start. Help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 08:03 PM
    The Hot Surface Ignitor (HSI) could be cracked(hair line) or burnt out.
    The circuit board could not be supplying 120 volts to the HSI.

It could be a open end switch on some units that have a end switch on the combustion air blower (flame blower as you call it).

Check the HSI first with a OHM meter to see if it is broken.(and then check voltage from the board when the unit is activated in the heat mode.)

Careful with the HSI. They are very sensitive to the oil on your fingers and fragile in nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman GMNT, noise and blower speed [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GMNT 120-5, the vent motor is extremely noisy during operations and can be heard in the entire house. Any possibility to repair or should I just replace the motor? After a recent service call the technicians switched the blower speed to a higher level which due to the high velocity now...

Janitrol Furnace issue motor would not start and pressure switch stuck closed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I got this Janitrol Furnace it worked fine. Until my basement flooded then it looks like the circuit board got wet and it was on at the time. So basically I ordered a new board suppose to be coming soon. What happened was when the furnace came on like there were no flames only a bright...

Goodman furnace will not start [ 3 Answers ]

Newer goodman furnace will not start on call for heat... well 1 out of 15 times it will. The little fan turns on , the HSI glows , gas valve clicks after HSI goes out. This is LP. Can Anyone help?

Goodman GMNT main switch error [ 2 Answers ]

It's Easter morning... and it's colder than Christmas morning... and my 5-year new Goodman GMNT furnace is not working. Getting 4 blink code, main / auxiliary switch error. I have turned unit on and off and have it working, however when it shuts down and I think the blower continues to run causing...

Bryant Furnace won't start flame on my emergency generator [ 4 Answers ]

My newer Bryant plus 80 T gas furnace would not start the flame when it was connected to my emergency generator during an ice storm that caused the commercial power to go out. Is this a result of the poor power quality of the emergency generator which messed up the electronic circuits of the...

View more questions Search