Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ItWillGetBetter Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Appealing a court order for child support
    Ok, So my daughters father was finally ordered to pay support (as in my previous post). He did not show up but sent his financial paper work (he lives out of state), He tells me he is not paying a dime (because he can not afford it, but they went by what he sent in) and he is appealing the current support and back support order, Can he do this and will the judge cancel out the back support. Thanks in Advance
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWillGetBetter View Post
    Ok, So my daughters father was finally ordered to pay support (as in my previous post). He did not show up but sent his financial paper work (he lives out of state), He tells me he is not paying a dime (because he can not afford it, but they went by what he sent in) and he is appealing the current support and back support order, Can he do this and will the judge cancel out the back support. Thanks in Advance
    Sure he can do that. His problem is going to be telling the judge what they did wrong and why the first trip through. Just because he's asking the courts for something doesn't mean he's going to get it. It just means its out there. Does he plan on showing up this time ? Has he retained a lawyer ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 06:33 PM

He can always appeal since the amount is based on income, that is not likely to change unless he told him he makes more than he does.

Nov 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    He can always appeal since the amount is based on income, that is not likely to change unless he told him he makes more than he does.
    Hi, I guess he told them what he makes a year ($25,000) and they divided it up weekly, but now he says he makes less than $200 a week. (how in the world can a grown man, no other children no wife live off less than $200 a week). I hope the judge will look at the fact he is capable of making enough money he does live on his own, and no he does not have a lawyer
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Hi, I guess he told them what he makes a year ($25,000) and they divided it up weekly, but now he says he makes less than $200 a week. (how in the world can a grown man, no other children no wife live off of less than $200 a week). I hope the judge will look at the fact he is capable of making enough money he does live on his own, and no he does not have a lawyer
    Unless he quit his job and went to flipping burgers then he's making more then that but by the time the child support is taken out it may very well be $200 per week.

$25,000 per year. The breakdown goes like this. 2000 hrs per year. Weekly gross is $500
    Then child support and taxes are taken out before he even sees anything. So his new take home might just be $200

Nov 23, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Unless he quit his job and went to flipping burgers then hes making more then that but by the time the child support is taken out it may very well be $200 per week.

$25,000 per year. The breakdown goes like this. 2000 hrs per year. weekly gross is $500
    then child support and taxes are taken out before he even sees anything. So his new take home might just be $200
    He says he makes $195 a week before taxes, so his take home is only about $100, of course I do not believe that though
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 04:09 PM
    He says he makes $195 a week before taxes, so his take home is only about $100, of course I do not beleive that though
    If he's only making that much then he is either working under 40 hrs a week because minimum wage I believe is $5.15 or $5.50 per hour.

In Calif minimum wage is $8.00 per hour.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 23, 2008, 06:12 PM

He has the right to appeal what the court mandated back in 2006 (lets say). The court will review the case and determine what the current income is. "He won't pay a dime" This will not be possible. Even if he make minimum he is obligated to pay something.

It works the other way too. If he made more income and you knew about it you can petition the court for more money.

Good luck to you.

Nov 24, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATYOURSERVICE View Post
    He has the right to appeal what the court mandated back in 2006 (lets say). The court will review the case and determine what the current income is. "He won't pay a dime" This will not be possible. Even if he make minimum he is obligated to pay something.

It works the other way too. If he made more income and you knew about it you can petition the court for more money.

Good luck to you.
    He has been trying to get out of paying since she was born so he will say anything, I will give an update when we go back (might be a while though, not sure how long it takes). Thank you everyone for your input

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court Child Support Order [ 3 Answers ]

If a child support order that was filed with the Clerk of the Court was never signed by a judicial officer, is it a valid order or legally deficient?

Child support court order in another state [ 7 Answers ]

I divorced in 1997. Support order was for 62.37 a week for 2 kids.I have been fighting this for 10 years between states.. States are ILL/FL;;Finally I hired a private attorney took ex back to court in 2007 with 16400 in arrears.Still ILL hasn't updated their Support to the new order of 175.00 a...

Interim court order regarding where my child goes to school [ 2 Answers ]

My ex and I entered into an interim order last year regarding the city in which my son will go to school. The order called for specifics to be completed during the year and stated that so long as all was completed the order would become final. Now it is a year later, everything was completed as...

Court Order DNA test for paternity of adult child [ 3 Answers ]

I am an adult child. Born in wedlock but my father was not my mother's husband. My biological father lives in another part of town and will not take a DNA test. Can I proceed in court to get a court order to make him do so? Which court? Family or Civil (Equity case?) Is there any PA law on...

View more questions Search