Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melvinba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Briggs & Stratton 10 HP OHV Generator Engine runs rough
    I have a portable generator with a Briggs & Stratton 10HP OHV engine. I store it for months at a time and then add just enough gas to run if for about an hour until it runs out of gas. After two years the engine now runs rough. I have to leave the run/choke switch almost on full choke to keep the engine from running rough. If I go to full run, the engine misses every second or so. If I move the run/choke switch just one notch below full choke, it smooths out. I suspect the dried gas has gummed my carb, but can I add carb cleaner and run the generator?

I now know to add stabilizer for each run time. But what can I do now??

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 07:30 AM

I'll tell you what. Pull the fuel hose and inject spray carb cleaner in the hose toward the carb. It just might work.

Also make sure the air cleaner is clean. You can run the engine for a short time without it to see if the situation improves.

The engine will run on carb cleaner. In fact, it's best to use carb cleaner rather than starting fluid.
    OutdoorDist Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 08:53 AM

Another thing to try:
    With the engine running, briefly choke the engine several times... some times the sudden increase of vacuume will help pull the trash out of the jet. It wouldn't hurt to drain the fuel bowl water can collect over time... water doesn't burn well :)

Good luck,
    Victor
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 10:27 PM

Hi,
    No comment bad to this point. Might try some gas treatment/stabilizer and running time, with it partially on choke if necessary. It can be amazing what the "abrasive" effect of fuel passing through jets can do if does run. You may well find that in a period you slowly choke it less and less.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10HP Briggs and Stratton Generator Engine [ 24 Answers ]

Hi Guys, Recently, I was using my Generac 5550 generator with a 10HP Briggs & Stratton OHV, model 204412, Type 0142 engine, and it started running rough and puffing black smoke. So I bought the repair manual. Took everything apart to the piston, cleaned the carbon off the pistons and...

Briggs and Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

My Briggs and Stratton 10D902 lawnmower engine is running very rich. The air cleaner is OK Can you please advise

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

Briggs & Stratton 15hp runs rough at high speed. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tractor mover with a Briggs & Stratton 15hp, it runs good at lowest speed only, unless I put it at full speed and full choke, it backfire out the muffler and shuts down at any other speed. I ran through the carb, seems clean unless I missed something, the float was stuck and it would...

View more questions Search