Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gautamanne Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
    Basement Estimate
    Hello I am in the process of finishing my basement with Drop celing.. Would like to know if one of you could tell me how much its going to cost me in terms of Material Cost.

Total Finished Sq Ft 550
    Drop Celing 550 SqFt

If you can tell me how to calculate the cost for Lumber, as I will be doing Wood Framing/studs. Carpet & Drop Celing.

Also would like to know about.. Basement Waterproffing. I run a demuidifier and live in CT, I need to turn the dehumidifier only during Summer months when it gets real hot.. There are no moist basment walls. Just as a precaution would like to know how to start finishing my basement.. Does it make sense to use a waterproofing on the walls & floor before I do Framing ? Do I need to put a plastic barrier to the walls before I put the frame ?

Thanks
    lauren2685 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 12:10 PM
    It's always smart to waterproof a basement before finishing it because of the investment you are making, even if the basement has been dry for 30 years.

In the case of floor and wall joint leaks, you'll want to look into a perimeter drainage system which will address water that comes up through the floor or walls (A negative side sealant like a spray is not a permanent solution, water will always find it's way in due to hydrostatic pressure).

Prefinishing products can also be helpful such as subflooring to raise carpet off the cold concrete floor (make sure you choose a product that is made of plastic, wood will harbor mold), vapor barriers that work in conjunction with the drainage system can save you money on energy costs as it keeps some of the heat within the basement. This sort of product can be installed directly on the concrete wall and dry wall can be built a few inches in front of it. One of the most important elements of keeping a basement environment healthy is a quality dehumidifier that keeps the humidity level below the point in which mold can grow.

There's a great company that has been in the waterproofing business for several years with plenty of useful information on their website: Waterproofing Wet Basements - Waterproof your basement with Basement System, Inc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home value estimate [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know a website where I can have an estimate of my home without entering my personal details. I have noted that several sites which can provide this information ask for SSN numbers etc. is anyone out there aware of any site that can provide this estimate for free. I just want to have...

Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there well I am trying to put a washer in my basement but the sewer line is on the other side of the house from where it will be put so I am asking how should a go about running the drain line without cutting a hole in the floor I have herd about a sump pump and a tank but was not sure if...

OPT>H1 refund estimate status wise? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, Hello ATE, I have been reading these forums, and I really am confused about what my status is. So here's my case: 1) Working for employer A from Feb 1 2005 to Present. ( Feb 1 to Oct 14, 2005 on OPT, Oct 15, 2005 to Present on H1B)

NJ resident work in NYC - need help for filing estimate tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of New Jersey and work in New York City. I have some realized capital gain from stock trading. Where should I file state estimate tax? To NYC or NJ ? I also have some income from NJ in the first 3 months in 2005. Can I file my estimate tax to NJ to avoid higher rate in NY...

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

View more questions Search